help i need advise-keep ovaries or not - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

help i need advise-keep ovaries or not help i need advise-keep ovaries or not

Unread 09-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Keep them if you can..

There is lots of info out there, but the points mentioned before are really stunning on the side of keeping them. Think aging, and dramatically, and you get a sense of what NOT having ovaries is like. Dramatic changes! and BHRT is a crap shoot when you could be natural. I have read that even women who have kept their ovaries need HTR support because the blood supply was damaged to the ovaries during surgery.

They are a significant part of you and as the old addage says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Don't fall for anyone telling you that you don't want more kids so you don't need them. You do! For the health of your SKIN, BONES, HEART and BRAIN.

Good luck with your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2007, 08:38 PM
help i need advise-keep ovaries or not

Ok, Crystal - my two cents.

I was 50 when I had my hyst in May, turned 51 in July.

1. I had FSH blood tests - showed where my female hormones were at, and I was not near menopause. So that was one thing in favour of me keeping them.

2. There was no history of ovarian cancer in my family. My mom had cervical cancer - which is caused by a virus. Otherwise, no cancer reason to have them removed.

3. Research is now showing that the ovaries contribute more than "just" the female hormones. They appear to keep the brain healthy. Click here, and read the article mentioned - it is in question-and-answer format. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=310480

4. My doctor told me that HRT can be taken in a low dose for a certain number of years. SO - I want to hang on to my own supply for as long as possible, then go the HRT route if I have to.

5. MOST IMPORTANT - in spite of all this, I gave my surgeon permission to remove the ovaries if they were a medical mess when he did the surgery.

I'm glad I kept mine. You'll have to evaluate your own history and health - and what YOU want to do.

Candace

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register