Ortho-Evra patch. Can I cut it? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ortho-Evra patch. Can I cut it? Ortho-Evra patch. Can I cut it?

Unread 04-26-2004, 11:57 AM
Ortho-Evra patch. Can I cut it?

Hi all!

Does anyone know if the Ortho_Evra birth control patch can be cut in half? I'm trying to wean off of BCPs, because of endometriosis issues. This is done on my own, as I can't find a doctor who will help me.

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2004, 03:47 PM

Laura,

Who originally prescribed your patch for you? Have you tried asking your pharmacist if it would be possible to cut it? I understand your concerns about endometriosis and using estrogen so I'm confused that you said you can't find a doctor who will help you.

There was a topic in this Jungle recently about cutting estrogen patches that might help you determine if it can be done but it would be better to check with your pharmacist or doctor first just to be 100% sure.

Cutting Patches

s to you!
Unread 04-26-2004, 04:49 PM

I guess I should explain more. I've been to two different gyns, who both say the only thing I need is birth control pill or patch. This will cure all my trouble. However, I"m having side effects, and I know my endo is coming back, but my gyn keeps telling me bcps are safe for endo.

I'd like to try a no hormone route to see if it will kill the endo. My doctor say's I'm going to end up feeling awful, and I am silly for even considering being without hormones.

So I"m trying this on my own.

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2004, 07:34 PM

My gyn told me that the bests thing to treat my endo was to completely cut off estrogen. He suggested Lupron. 1 shot every month for 6 monthes. Lack of est. greatly reduces the endo - downfalls - temp fix and causes menopause because no estrogen. Periods start again after you stop the shots.

Good Luck
Unread 04-27-2004, 01:24 PM

Hi (((Laura))) The Ortho Evra patch is a matrix type patch, which means that technically, you could cut it... of course the manufacturer doesn't say that in their prescribing information (but then neither do the mfrs for Vivelle dot or Climara, and it's pretty well known that those matrix patches can be cut as well). So, you are doing it *at your own risk*, but I'm not sure what the downside would be. Of course, the reservoir type patches are a whole different story... those cannot be cut at all.

I hope this helps!
s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register