Anyone choose the spinal with sedation? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone choose the spinal with sedation? Anyone choose the spinal with sedation?

Unread 11-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Anyone choose the spinal with sedation?

I just got a call from the anesthesiologist for my surgery tomorrow. He told me I had a choice between general anesthesia or a spinal with sedation. I can give him my answer tomorrow morning, but I am completely thrown off by having a choice. I am leaning towards general simply because I have never had a spinal or epidural and don't know what to expect. At least with the general, I know what happens afterwards.

Has anyone had the spinal or epidural and how did that work out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2007, 08:57 PM

Hi Mich,

I saw a couple of ladies on here had a spinal with the General. Supposedly that helped with pain control the first 24 hours. I plan on asking for that combo. Do you think he will do that for you?

The only other thing I can think of is that for whatever reason when I have been sedated ( 3 times) I wake up and spend all day throwing up. BUT when I had general for my gall bladder I didn't throw up. I don't know what the difference is that causes that at least for me.

Good luck!!

Starbgirl
Unread 11-04-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm getting the spinal and general anesthesia (children mentioned)

I had an epidural when I had my c/section when I had the twins. I remember having AWFUL headaches after the epidural wore off, and sometimes having back spasms that were painful, too.

I've only been under anesthesia once, and that was for oral surgery. They put something in the IV to put me to sleep. Being intubated is going to be a new thing for me, and I'm nervous about that.

Sorry that I didn't have any answers for you- just more concerns! I hope your surgery goes well for you tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2007, 09:37 PM

Somehow it just seems easier to me to go with what I already know. Yes, the general anesthesia gives me nausea and vomiting, but at least I know this and the anesthesiologist has already said he can give me something for this. Having never had a spinal or epidural, I guess I'm afraid of what might happen. I don't know that I want my first experience to be during this type of surgery.
Unread 11-04-2007, 11:55 PM

I had an epidural with my first baby. I never felt it being inserted (but I was also nearly 7cm dilated as well). I had a little backpain in the weeks after but nothing really painful. If I touched the area where it was inserted it would be tender/sore/painful.

I had a spinal with my last one and I'll never have another one of those. It went too far up in my chest, caused my BP to go crazy, made me extremely sick, horrible itching (though they said that was due to the pain med they put in and most mentioned the itching). The worst was the headache I had afterwards and the horrible backpain. I had the backpain for months afterwards.

Best of luck with your surgery.
Unread 11-05-2007, 12:14 AM

I had the spinal with general anesthesia. I worked great for me!! It was different than the epidural they give you for having babies. My back did not hurt with this one. I would highly recommed it. It wears off slowly so you can get on top of the pain and so you can get some rest. Also you will be up and walking better the first day Post-Op.

I generally get anxiety from anesthesia, but I did not with this combo. I was relaxed and out of pain when I awoke.
Unread 11-05-2007, 09:37 AM

I had the spinal only and it was great. No headache, no nausua. No pain during incersion.

I was itchy when I woke up also and they gave me some antihistimine. The nice thing about this is the pain meds go right into your spine.

I would use this method again, definately. I wanted to be sedated this way, and I am so glad that I did.
Unread 11-05-2007, 01:57 PM

This is what I am having Wed it is how my doc does it I guess.
Hope you make out ok
Unread 11-05-2007, 02:04 PM

Hi there I was offered an epidural with general anaesthesia for my TAH in February. This worked very well in terms of pain relief. I wasn't too drowsy post op. However I was very sick post op. My epidural was a bit 'high' so I had some tightness in my chest. I am on other medication and allergic to many pain meds so this was by far the best choice for me. The numbness in my legs went off fairly quickly. I did not have a headache or back pain. Best wishes.
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:49 AM

I had a spinal with IV sedation, no general, and it worked great for me. The spinal stays in effect for several hours after the surgery and gives great pain control. Because of the IV sedation, I have no memory of the surgery. When they withdrew the IV sedation at the end of the surgery, I was immediately awake and alert, so happy that my surgery was over! I would definitely do it again that way if need be.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register