Found out Friday | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Found out Friday Found out Friday

Unread 02-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Found out Friday

Hello everyone. I have been lurking around since Friday 2/3 when DH found this website for me and I have a few questions.
To start off, I had an exploratory laparoscopy on 2/3 to check on the extent of the endometriosis that was first discovered in May of 2002 during my tubaligation. Since May of 02 I have been treated with lupron injections which helped for quite a while but now the pain is back with intensity.
My mother took me to the hospital, since DH works night shift, and after I woke up she told me that my doctor had informed her that I did need to have a hysterectomy. Not a huge suprise. I don't go see the doctor again until 2/13 for the follow up and I guess for him to fill me in on what happens next. Of course I am nervous and anxious about having the hysterectomy, not because of the surgery, but because at this point I am still completely in the dark. I have no idea what route he plans to take. Will he do a TAH or a LAVH? I know that there is a large place on my bladder that will have to be burned off, and I know that he will also be doing a BOS. Does that play a part in which way he will operate?
I have noticed on several posts that surgeries are at times scheduled weeks and weeks in advance. Is this common? I would really like to just go ahead and get it over with, mainly because I don't want to have to work in the pain that I have been having for several more weeks and/or months.
I have a DD9 who is an only child from a previous marriage and she is spoiled rotten. Is there any type of book or information out there to help explain to her what is going to happen to Mommy? She knows that I will be out of commission for a few weeks but I would love to find something to explain it to her in a 9yr olds language.
And finally, I have seen posts referring to heavy lifting after going back to work and noticed that most have a lifting restriction of 20-30 lbs. I am a registered nurse in a transitional care unit and I have to be able to pull people up in bed. Some of those people weigh alot. Will a weight lifting restricition keep me off work longer since my employer won't allow me to return with limitations?
Thanks for any advice you can give me and I'm sure you will be seeing more of me around the boards. I'll post my surgery date as soon as I find out when it will be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Found out Friday

It depends on your doctor and how much endo you may have. I will be having a TAH BSO. I have extensive endo. But, like I said it depends on your doctor. My doctor has me going to see a urologist for problems with my bladder that way the urologist can correct what the problems are with my bladder. I'm not sure I'm helping you, but please know you can email me and I will try to help you

Sharon
Unread 02-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Found out Friday

As for surgery schedules, it really depends on your schedule and doctor availability. For some reason, when I scheduled my TAH/panniculectomy in 2004, the doctor just picked a date three months away and we went with it because it worked for everyone and there were a couple of surgical groups to coordinate. I just assumed that this was how long I would have to wait.

However, in 2005 when I had my hematoma/seroma surgery, when I was scheduling with the surgeon, he said, "You can come in tomorrow for this if you want." I was absolutely shocked -- and this was at the Mayo Clinic! He happened to have an opening the next day.

As for lifting restrictions, I was told nothing more than 20 pounds for six weeks. Some es have even more limits, so check with your doctor. It may mean a longer leave time, but as you will read many times here at Hyster Sisters (if you haven't already) you only get one chance to heal magnificently!!

There are books on surgery geared to your dd's age. I wish I could remember the titles -- I looked at them when I was having my surgery but decided they were too "advanced" for my ds who was 3 when I had mine. I do know I found them at a major bookstore, so they shouldn't be hard to find. Good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register