Singing after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Singing after hysterectomy Singing after hysterectomy

Unread 03-27-2015, 07:54 AM
Singing after hysterectomy

I read and really appreciated the posts about singing after surgery. I believe I'm having non-laproscopic oophorectomy and partial hysterectomy in May. Any more tips about when I can plan to sing again would be helpful. Thanks to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Re: Singing after hysterectomy

This is a wonderful question.

I am not a professional singer. I can only tell you about my personal experience as an amateur. I like to sing every day. I didn't sing for the first 2 weeks because I wasn't well enough. I was too exhausted. At about 2 1/2 weeks, I could sing a couple of songs before feeling too tired. I didn't have the energy to sing all the songs at church until about 4 weeks. We have a one-hour service with about 8 songs and usually stand to sing, if that helps.

Blessings to you!
Unread 03-27-2015, 05:54 PM

Thank you, DaisyDreamer, for the info. Yes, your post does help me in figuring out what to expect and trying not to worry! Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2015, 06:40 PM

Not a singer, but i play flute. I was practicing after just a couple weeks, but what got me was deep breathing and breath control. I just got wore out way fast! My husbandis a music teacher, so from his talking it seems that may be a problem for you as well. I was just tired. I think my swelly belly is what made breathing tough. But it passed fairly quickly.
Unread 03-28-2015, 08:14 AM

Good to know...I am having my hysterectomy June 3rd 2015...I go to different churches and sing, and sing solos at my church frequently...I never would have thought of this question.
Unread 03-28-2015, 01:52 PM

Hi Jeannie77 -

You may wish to discuss this with your doctor. You need lots of abdominal muscles to support your notes when you sing. We have had other singers come through here, and from what I remember of the posts, they were on rest for 6 or 8 weeks. But, everyone is different, so please talk to your doctor about when you would be released.

Unread 03-28-2015, 03:01 PM

Thanks, Marestail! I'm honing in on the time frame. It is so nice of you all to reply.
Unread 04-04-2015, 10:04 PM

Hi! I had some issues with this, beyond just the tummy muscles. Apparently, the intubation can affect your vocal chords. I found that it took about 5 weeks to completely get my voice back. I could sing but it would come out very small and slight, and not my normal. But, I wasn't up for it for at least 3 weeks anyway, and then, at rehearsal I just sang quietly until my voice came back. Good luck!
Unread 04-05-2015, 05:26 AM

Thanks for the info, Smile&Sing. I asked the surgical coordinator if the surgeon could use a different anesthesia that doesn't involve intubation. She didn't think he would be willing but I haven't heard back definitely. I noticed you're in MD also... Small world!
Thanks again.
Unread 04-05-2015, 05:41 AM

Small world indeed!!! Best wishes to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register