TVH not ready to return to work...am I a wimp? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

not ready to return to work...am I a wimp? not ready to return to work...am I a wimp?

Unread 11-20-2011, 08:58 PM
not ready to return to work...am I a wimp?

I am 6.5 weeks post TVH/BSO and am scheduled to return to work next week. Even though it is a desk job, there is a lot of stress. My daughter is booked to have her wisdom teeth removed in two weeks (in hospital under a general) so I'd prefer to extend my sick leave for another couple of weeks which would have me back full time at the 9 week mark. Am I wimping out, or do I have cause to request a bit of extra time so I can take care of my family and not have to be putting in full days while still battling postop fatigue? I feel generally pretty good, but am still reminded that I did have major surgery...I'm a little emotionally labile...just would feel better if I could get my plate fully cleared before returning to work and the demands of deadlines etc. Am I justified in feeling this way?

Would appreciate any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Re: not ready to return to work...am I a wimp?

I would ask for a extention. My work allows 10-12 wks for a hyster and my dr allowed my hubby 2 wk ( to take care of me-- not long enough) and he give me 6 wks b4 i return to work. Im thankful my work allows thr 10-12 w all the kidney bladder issues ive had.
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:38 PM

My doc has told me it takes 8-10 weeks for complete internal healing. (I am in my 5th week post-op). I had a TvH, which was totally painless, so I was at work the 3rd day.

My boss and colleagues are co-operative and understand not to have any expectations from me, so I am comparatively stress-free, which doesn't seem to be the case with your work.

Stress will always interfere with healing, so suggest you take the additional 2 weeks off and rest when you can.

And NO, YOU ARE NOT A WIMP if you put yourself and your family before work. Don't let anyone tell you differently!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2011, 10:52 PM

Can anyone see this? I don't want to go back period as stress gets the hotflashes.....
Unread 11-20-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puwii View Post
and no, you are not a wimp if you put yourself and your family before work. Don't let anyone tell you differently!
perfect!
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:19 AM

I wouldn't call you a wimp.

I will say, I went back at 8 weeks (TAH). I was very tired and fatigued for a good 4 weeks after going back to work and I have a desk job.

You will eventually have to go to work and fight that tired and fatigued feeling for many weeks, no matter how long you stay out. There is no magical time frame that your body says "hey, I'm good to go back to work and will feel great".

My opinion, the longer you stay out, the harder it is to go back and get back in the groove. Your body has been use to resting and laying around for 6 weeks. Its going to tax your body to get back into a normal working routine no matter how long you take off.

I felt like I could've taken another 6 months off and still not felt ready to go back.

Oh, it takes roughly a good 12 months to completely heal internally, no matter which type of surgery you have done.

So do take it easy and not over do things between work and home.
Unread 11-21-2011, 03:46 PM

If you're a wimp, at least you're in good company! I am fortunate to have a dr who understands that I'm not ready to go back yet. Of course, I'm not ready physically, as I'm still on narcotic pain meds (and still feeling pain!) I see my doctor again Dec 6th for my checkup, and I doubt he'll release me at that time, because of the slow healing due to fibromyalgia. Even if he does, I have surgery again (breast) Dec 14th, and will be off work again. At most, I'll have to work 3 days one week and 2 days the next...then off for the rest of the year.

I MUST go back to work Jan 2nd, so I'm blessed with more time off than most, but I'm going to start building up my stamina and hopefully weaning off the pain meds as I go through December.
Unread 11-23-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltec View Post
I wouldn't call you a wimp.

I will say, I went back at 8 weeks (TAH). I was very tired and fatigued for a good 4 weeks after going back to work and I have a desk job.

You will eventually have to go to work and fight that tired and fatigued feeling for many weeks, no matter how long you stay out. There is no magical time frame that your body says "hey, I'm good to go back to work and will feel great".

My opinion, the longer you stay out, the harder it is to go back and get back in the groove. Your body has been use to resting and laying around for 6 weeks. Its going to tax your body to get back into a normal working routine no matter how long you take off.

I felt like I could've taken another 6 months off and still not felt ready to go back.

Oh, it takes roughly a good 12 months to completely heal internally, no matter which type of surgery you have done.

So do take it easy and not over do things between work and home.
I really like your feedback!! great advice!! were you really that tired going back to work?? my energy level feels okay now at 2 weeks but I hope laziness doesn't set in LOL
Unread 11-23-2011, 02:31 PM

I definitly wouldn't call you a wimp. I only started back last week myself and it's hard on the body. If you need the extra time, please take it.

:cathugs:
Unread 11-23-2011, 03:45 PM

If You can stay home then stay home. I went back part time for two weeks at 6 weeks, and this my my first week back to house. Like you I have a very stressfull desk job. I am exhausted, drained, an emotionally drained by the end of the day. My recovery went back two weeks. In saying that, I have improved everyday I am a bit stronger. I really believe if I could have stayed off longer I would be even better than I am right now.
My management also sees I am back to full hours and is requesting daily for me to do over time , I keep saying no. I worry then may try and force me to work longer hours and more days when I am not ready.

Stay home if you can!! If you are a wimp then be a wimp, as I wish I had stood up and wimped out, instead of being to pushed to do more than I can handle. Only we know what we can and cannot do.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register