New worry | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-18-2008, 02:09 PM
New worry

Okay, now that you all have given me great food for thought on my fears of having the surgery, I have a new worry. I'm wondering if I'm just being lazy or silly about even considering a hyst.
I see all of these posts with real problems (cysts, cancers, fibroids) and I'm just dealing with an abnoxious period! I've had the ablation done with no luck and pills just make me completely off schedule, but there's no pain. I'm really just plain tired of dealing with it and am ready to NOT have my "lovely" monthly visitor disrupt my life.
So, yes, I'm suffering insecurity today as I weed through the pros and cons of the issue. I'm pandering for confidence here!
Is it wrong to be considering this if I don't technically "need" it?

Thanks so much, wonderful ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2008, 09:42 PM
New worry

I am actually surprised having a hysterectomy is an option for you if as you say "there is nothing technically wrong with you." No doctor I know will remove healthy organs without reason. You don't mention how old you are but your periods will eventually stop and you can always try another ablation or even different BC pills that better agree with your body, I had rollerball ablation done and it was very effective. You run the risk of potential life long problems with a hysterectomy and it's a very drastic surgery if you don't need it done.
Unread 08-19-2008, 03:28 AM
New worry

I'm 38 and have no current issues other than a very heavy period. In the past I've had moderate dysplasia & endometriosis, but both took well to treatment and no hyst was needed. Since my last child was born and I had the tubal done my periods are so heavy that they disrupt my sleep & my daytime activities.
I've done NovaSure and tried bc pills. Neither worked. I've had 2 MD's tell me that a hyst is the only other option unless I just want to deal with it for another 15 years or so.
When my period isn't here I agree with you. It seems extreme to have such a major surgery just so I'm not inconvenienced once a month. But when my period IS here...taking it out doesn't seem like such a bad idea!
I'm going to try another medication she prescribed that is only taken during the first few days of my period and see if that makes a difference. If not, it's deal with it or do something about it, I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2008, 06:11 AM
New worry

Has your doctor done an endometrial biopsy? I was going to have an ablation for heavy periods...like you I felt sort of like I am just a complainer, but then my biopsy came back abnormal. Now my doc says do the hyster. so that I won't have to do the painful biopsys every six months or so to monitor the endometrium that "could" turn cancer.
Unread 08-19-2008, 06:18 AM
New worry

They did a biopsy before the ablation and it came back normal. My new MD also wants to run a gob of blood work to rule out any other issues.
At this point, I'm not sure what I'll do. I'm going to try the new meds (I think its Paxil...something. I may be completely off on the name) and see if those work. I just don't like taking things like that, especially when the MD says they're very strong and need to be taken with food. That's just a red flag to me.
Unread 08-19-2008, 07:43 AM
New worry

I felt similar to you.

I had heavy periods that became almost constant heavy bleeding, with huge clots. cramping and painful. I became anemic no matter how much iron I took. As far as I knew that was all that was wrong with me... So I felt I didn't deserve a hyster.
But I also have PCOS which was causing cysts. I also had andeo. I was tested for endo, but didn't have it. The doctor felt that was because I was on BC pills nonstop for years. I was bleeding through those. Quality of life was horrible...

Basically, I agree if there is truly nothing wrong, don't get a hyster. But even if it is "just heavy bleeding" could still be something wrong. Only you can say how heavy is too much. It can disrupt your life and mental well being. You might have andeo, but not know it. I was told it can only be diagnosed after a hyster. I had it, which explained the bleeding....

So don't think that bleeding in itself is not a good enough reason. It might be the only sympton you get of a worsening condition that really can be cured only with a hyster. (Speaking of andeo)
Unread 08-19-2008, 08:11 AM
New worry

world, I'm sorry, but I do feel like heavy periods that disrupt your daily life is a problem!!!! I can't tell you how many sets of sheets, blankets, clothes, etc that have been ruined due to my period. Not to mention the things I had to plan around or couldn't do because of my period.

Now that being said, do some research on Adenomyosis. It is a condition that causes extremely hard periods, with our without pain. the ONLY way to really diagnose and treat is Hysterectomy. there is a reason you are having heavy periods, and if they are impacting your daily life, than do not feel "guilty" for wanting relief....

JMHO

Shelly
Unread 08-19-2008, 11:11 AM
New worry

I have never heard of Adenomyosis before! I looked it up and have to wonder why no MD I've seen has even brought the possibility up before. I do get crampy and lower back aches from my periods, but no major pain.

It's an interesting take on it and I'll have to bring it up when I see the new MD in a few weeks. Thanks so much for the information!
Unread 08-21-2008, 06:52 AM
New worry

worldtrvlr,
No one has mentioned using an IUD. I have a friend who used it and her periods stopped. She loved it! Ask you DR.
Unread 08-21-2008, 10:14 AM
New worry

My MD did bring that up, actually. Her feeling is that if ablation didn't work then an IUD wouldn't work either. I really feel uncomfortable with that whole concept anyway. There have been so many women who have had major problems with IUD's. My fingers are crossed that this new medication will work.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register