Scheduled LAVH I'm over 60 and apprehensive - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm over 60 and apprehensive I'm over 60 and apprehensive

Unread 12-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Re: I'm over 60 and apprehensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by djquilts View Post
My hysterectomy with rectocele repair and possible bladder sling is coming up and I don't see many posts from women in my age group. I know we have slower healing response, but I'm curious as to what other members are told as to what to expect or what they experienced. I have stairs to climb to my apartment which I wonder about and also getting in and out of bed to go to the bathroom uses stomach musles so how do you deal with it all?
Hi, djquilts
I'm over 55 and had a TAH (with removal of both ovaries) on Dec 10th, 2013. Although I haven't had my post-op check yet, I believe my recovery is coming along well. Have a 6-inch incision which is healing nicely. I have tenderness in the abdomen, but nothing like the first 2 weeks following surgery. Pillows are a definite help, but I also found that having a cane handy made it easier to get up and down from the couch, bed, and particularly the commode. I also took home the surgical stockings they had me wearing at the hospital, and wore them frequently the first 2 weeks. And I agree that walking, even a little bit around the house, is essential. I believe that it has helped to speed the healing. I also made sure that I rested whenever I began to feel fatigued...as often my body told me to!

My prayers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Dimock View Post
Hi, djquilts
I'm over 55 and had a TAH (with removal of both ovaries) on Dec 10th, 2013. Although I haven't had my post-op check yet, I believe my recovery is coming along well. Have a 6-inch incision which is healing nicely. I have tenderness in the abdomen, but nothing like the first 2 weeks following surgery. Pillows are a definite help, but I also found that having a cane handy made it easier to get up and down from the couch, bed, and particularly the commode. I also took home the surgical stockings they had me wearing at the hospital, and wore them frequently the first 2 weeks. And I agree that walking, even a little bit around the house, is essential. I believe that it has helped to speed the healing. I also made sure that I rested whenever I began to feel fatigued...as often my body told me to!

My prayers
Thanks Linda, I have some of those stockings and a cane so will dig them out for next week. Thanks for your hints and glad you are feeling better!
Unread 12-31-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djquilts View Post
Thanks Linda, I have some of those stockings and a cane so will dig them out for next week. Thanks for your hints and glad you are feeling better!
See, this is the *good* thing about having this surgery when you're past a certain age. You already have the requisite equipment kicking around the house! :-)
Unread 12-31-2013, 05:28 PM

I am 57 and had my surgery 11 days ago. After a rough night in the hospital, my recovery has gone well so far. We have stairs in our house and they have not been an issue - not even on the first day home. I've been thinking that maybe if we're used to the stairs they are easier post-surgery. I did have constipation issues early on - the doctor suggested 8 oz of prune juice and it worked wonders. Now I have it under control with the prescribed stool softener. They should give you tips for getting out of bed at the hospital, and I read on this website that if you exhale when moving it keeps your abdominal muscles from tensing up - and I have put that to practice.
I have also been curious about the recovery of sisters in our age group. I think this may be pretty universal for all ages - if we follow our doctors' orders and take things easy we stand the best chance of a successful recovery. I wish you the very best - so glad you are not having to postpone your surgery - that would be very frustrating!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register