Cleaning house and treadmills........... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cleaning house and treadmills........... Cleaning house and treadmills...........

Unread 04-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Cleaning house and treadmills...........

Well, now that I am back to a more normal routine, I am busy catching up on spring cleaning that didn't get done before my TAH. I can't believe the number of tampons and pads that I had hidden around the house!! This surgery has caused me to have a new "lighter" feeling, and my house is now reflecting that. I have been getting rid of tons of stuff that I had held on to for who knows what reason! Anyone else??

I have also been thinking more and more about living a healthier lifestyle. I am trying to eat more fruits and veggies. But, one thing I have never been a big fan of is exercise. I've had gym memberships in the past, but I've started strong, and then as soon as my muscles start to hurt, I give up. Last year, I took up my DH's favourite game--golf. It was so hard for me to start, as I didn't know a soul at the golf course. However, I started with a "beginner's league". No one kept score, just went out to try to learn the game together, and have some fun. I was matched up with another lady who also started knowing no one. We hit it off, and golfed together the whole summer. I did end up meeting a couple of other ladies, and I so enjoyed it!! I will admit though, it was some pretty tough slugging. I was not used to walking that much over hills and thick grass. I didn't lose any weight, but I did lose a dress size!! So, to prepare for this year's golf season, I thought I might try using a treadmill. My problem is.....where do I start?? How long should I walk for, and at what speed? What is a safe increment to increase my walks?? I am hoping that some of my hystersisters that have already been through the "return to exercise" can give me some pointers?? Or anyone that has any experience with just starting a treadmill program??

Thanks girls for still being here..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Re: Cleaning house and treadmills...........

Well, I am not up to treadmills yet, but I can certainly relate to your desire to clean and get rid of clutter, also with the desire to eat better and become stronger. I feel like this is a new lease on life! For now, I am going to content myself with sitting and sorting through old bathroom potions and gels and discarding out-of-date items.

I am trying to talk DH into taking me to the storage store here and buy a bamboo draw organizer. I figure it is a quick in and out of the store. Hmmm...this doesn't seem to interest him too much. But I would like to do my vanity drawer and then line the little compartments with some pretty, decorative paper.

Good luck in your new workout routine. Hopefully, someone will have some good advice for starting out. I would say begin with a walk and do what you can without overdoing and then increase your time and rate a small increment every few days.

Blessings!
Unread 04-28-2009, 03:42 PM

When I was 46, at the gym they told mee to start at 2.5 kms speed for 2 kms for the first week, and to not let my pulse go above 140bpm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2009, 07:23 PM

Just listen to your body. Whatever feels comfortable as far as speed, and maybe start out with a short distance. Once you get going and your heart rate increases, it's really easy to get carried away on a treadmill.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register