Any one in Pain Management? - Help with a question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any one in Pain Management? - Help with a question Any one in Pain Management? - Help with a question

Unread 06-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Any one in Pain Management? - Help with a question

Hi
I'm in pain management and signed a contract ect. In the past two weeks my pain has increased. I'm currently being worked up for it. On friday I had an ultrasound that destroyed me. The pain is severe. Thursday I saw my PM doc and he prescribed 5mg oxycodone for the increased pain max of 4 per day. I've already had four today in addition to all my other medications and the pain is briefly at bay (not gone just not crying)
I spoke with the doctor who ordered the ultrasound this morning and explained the situation. He said I will most likely need surgery at some point but no guarantees. For the pain he said call the PM doc. I did the office is closed. What do I do?
Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Re: Any one in Pain Management? - Help with a question

Have you tried just going tothe ER and seeing a new Dr.all together?
Unread 06-07-2009, 12:44 PM

call your doctors office, even if they are closed, they have emergency numbers, or a doctor on call to answer emergencies....if you are in that much pain, CALL!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2009, 01:10 PM

Hi there,

I am so sorry to hear you're in such pain! If you are unable to reach your doctor or after-hours help, I would agree that pain like this could warrant a visit to the ER.

I hope you find relief soon!
Unread 06-07-2009, 01:51 PM

Hi
The pain management has no emergency number. After I posted I called the office back to see if I missed something. I even looked on line. The doctor I saw last week said to follow up with pain management. I signed a contract so I need to be careful about what medications I receive and from who.
I'm still considering the ER but my past experience has taught me after hours and hours of waiting I often leave in more pain than when I arrived. The last thing I need is a bunch of residence and interns doing internal exams and ordering tests I just had. But thanks for the suggestions. I do feel like I need to find a new pain management doctor that will be available when I need him. I just went through the same thing last week.
Unread 06-07-2009, 01:54 PM

Jcam in the past week and half I've seen 3 new doctors. When this new episode began I was in the process of changing doctors (at recommendation of my doctor) to see if a fresh set of eyes could help. The first recommended I see the second, the second recommended the third. They say they will be working together.
Unread 06-07-2009, 03:04 PM

I would also suggest a visit to ER. Even if are unable to reach the pain management doctor, the ER might be able to. The only other option I can think of would be a visit to an Urgent Care facility but they may or may not be able to help you Or, you could try to reach one of your other physicians and let them know what is going on and that you cannot reach your PM doctor.

Whatever you do, do not take more medications than what is prescribed and be careful about adding over the counter meds with your prescription ones unless instructed to do so by one of your physicians.

Unread 06-07-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope09 View Post
Jcam in the past week and half I've seen 3 new doctors. When this new episode began I was in the process of changing doctors (at recommendation of my doctor) to see if a fresh set of eyes could help. The first recommended I see the second, the second recommended the third. They say they will be working together.
I am so sorry this is happening to you. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. I understand what you mean about the ER. If you do end up going in could you ask for Dr.'s only NO STUDENTS. Not sure how that works but it seems like you should be able to have some say in that.
Unread 06-07-2009, 04:14 PM

Hi Hope, so sorry you're having a rough time. I have chronic pain, and I have to be extremely careful with pain meds, I can't ever take more than prescribed or other than prescribed; if I do I will lose the trust of my doctor and put myself in danger. I don't mean to sound like a nag, I really feel for you having such pain, but you're going to have to get it all dialed in with your pain doc, so that when you have a procedure you make sure you're covered. I've never heard of pain docs who are available on weekends; almost all docs these days will direct you to the ER if you're in trouble, so you'll have to be your own advocate. Wishing you the best of luck, and fine a good pain doc! Regular docs are often not qualified to deal with chronic pain.
Unread 06-07-2009, 04:48 PM

I'm a patient of a University Hospital Pain Management Department. That is my problem today my pain from the ultrasound on friday is more than the pain medication prescribed can handle. All my doctors know I've been in bed with this pain for over two weeks now. The trip to the ER alone with increase by pain 10 fold. I have not tolerance for standing, sitting or being in a car. I can't imagine what another abdominal pelvic exam would do to me.
I have resided myself to the fact today and tonight will be hell and I'll call again in the morning when the office opens. They will not prescibe medication without being seen and he is not in until thursday so my question probably will be how do I change practices.
Maybe the gyn will have some answers when he reviews the ultrasound tomorrow. So far our conversations have not held to much hope though.
This is all like reliving a nightmare again.
Thanks for the suggestions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register