Are you lighter after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are you lighter after surgery? Are you lighter after surgery?

Unread 01-12-2001, 10:34 PM
Are you lighter after surgery?

Okay, I don't know how to word this. After surgery, do you feel lighter with all the organs removed?
I'm amazed at the size of the fibroids and tumors, and wondered. My mother never discusses her fibroid surgery, just said she was always in pain.
I'm having the TAH/BSO, and a tummy tuck, so the "apron" will be gone. My uterus always feels like it's a vase full of fluid on an unstable table, tipping back and forth. Very heavy feeling, so I wondered if that heaviness ends?
I also have the worry what they'll find on the inside.
My stomach and bowels feel cramped a lot, so I worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2001, 11:20 PM

Linda-
I am 13 wks. post op. I didn't feel "lighter" but I felt alot less crampy and then I did pre-opertively. I did not have uterine swelling so the swelling I had after surgery was definately a difference from what I was used to.
Even with my stomach swelling I didn't gain (or lose ) one pound.
What you will feel after surgery is relief. Relief from painful, heavy periods, freedom from the restrictions you had because of your female problems, and peace of mind that the surgery is behind you. Good luck!
Unread 01-13-2001, 05:34 AM

My uterus was swollen due to fibroids.
I am now 3 weeks post op and do not yet
feel lighter. My "swelly belly" is
quite heavy feeling. But I am SURE it
will get better. I can see a difference
in my waistline even if it is slight.
Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2001, 12:45 PM
The Incredible Lightness of Being...

Hi! Well here's a different response-just goes to show that all experiences are unique to a point!
I definitely felt lighter and better right away, and continue to do so despite my swelly belly. I had a leaking cyst that was leaking blood into my abdominal cavity and lots of endo (we didnt know that going in )so I was pretty toxic and very anemic(I didn't know that either...) and felt generally icky before surgery. Even the next day I felt different. My partner says that before surgery I looked really puffy as though I had gained about 20 pounds. She says that about within first week there was a marked difference, like I've lost that 20 pounds! So I guess its different for everyone. I am wearing dresses that I could not fit into the 2 months prior to surgery. Good luck to you!
Unread 01-13-2001, 12:50 PM
I felt lighter

I had a 2 1/2lb ovarian fibroma - everyone thought it was a massive fibroid prior to surgery. I've never had children and my pelvic area is very small and the tumor was just too big, the doctor demonstrated it was about the size of 1/2 a loaf of bread. I could feel the difference immediately after coming out of recovery. I'm still amazed at how much room I have & how comfortable I am with that ugly growth gone!

Paige
LSH/BSO
9/22/00
Unread 01-13-2001, 03:59 PM
Lighter or not?

I can't answer yet as my TAH/BSO for 16 wk size uterus + 2 fibroids, 1 the size of a large orange (so I am told) is set for Monday 1/15. I can tell ya, as a fellow fibroid person, its the 'broid size pushing against your organs now (bladder and lower instestines) that is probably giving you the pressure sensation. I am noticing I have far more gas than I usually do. If your GYN hasn't recommended a bowel prep the night before surgery, I would do one myself using Over-the-counter--I plan to dilute a liquid (as in drinkable) Fleets and slurp it over ice the night prior as I don't want to run into constipation or severe post-op gas problems. As I am overweight anyway, I can't tell if my lower abdomen is already distended because of what's happening in the pelvis or not and I have decided I don't care as its too late now to do anything about it. My girlfriend had her TAH 12/12/00 and she is also quite overwt. She has done just fine and reports feeling fab from Day 2 forward--I want to have the same expectation. Good luck and hang in there as the end of it all is in sight....
Unread 01-14-2001, 01:22 AM

Can't say that I feel "lighter" but I do feel healthier. I have lost 8 pounds but wasn't overweight to begin with. I did have some lower abdominal disention prior to surgery and now it has gone down considerably. Per the hospital operative report..my uterus was the size of a 4 month pregnancy and I am now 6 weeks post op from an abdominal hysterectomy. Just remember that everyone is different. Watch your eting habits post surgery-don't overindulge.

JOhn 3:16
TAH 11/29/2000
Unread 01-14-2001, 07:22 AM
I'm feeling and weighing in lighter!

Yep... we're all different in this. I had a TAH/BSO due to endo, so no canonball sized fibroids removed,... but, I have lost a good 10 pounds in the process since the surgery. I still have a budda belly, but that's not so much a result of the surgery as my former weight. The puffiness and swelly belly seem to be subsiding since week 4....

That's my 2 cents!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register