couple of drinks night before surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

couple of drinks night before surgery? couple of drinks night before surgery?

Unread 02-13-2006, 04:03 PM
couple of drinks night before surgery?

Hi all, stupid question, a few of my girlfriends want to go out for a really nice dinner the night before my surgery?Kind of like a girlfriend bonding dinner. Seeing that i can't eat or drink anything past midnight i was hoping to stuff myself and have a nice time, not sure if i can have a glass of wine or 2 with dinner? Anyone out there do this? I dont mean to sound like a boozer but it would be nice to relax the night before with dinner and a glass of wine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2006, 04:25 PM

Hmm, please ask your dr before consuming alchol of any sort the day before your hyst. I honestly am not sure! Best wishes to you! And how nice to have girlfriends who want to take you to dinner the night before your surgery!
Unread 02-13-2006, 06:35 PM

My instructions were no alcohol for 24 hours before surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2006, 07:43 PM

My orders say no alcohol for 24 hours before surgery. I think it could affect how your anesthesia will work. I know I am going to eat lightly for the couple of days leading up to my surgery. It will be easier to pass later. LOL
Unread 02-13-2006, 08:07 PM

I couldn't drink alcohol for 24 hours prior to surgery and I was on a very strict liquid diet for the full day prior to surgery. I then couldn't have anything to drink or eat after midnight. And then of course I got to drink that lovely stuff to clean you out completely too.
Unread 02-14-2006, 06:53 AM

I was instructed to eat lightly for a couple of days leading up to surgery and also NO ALCOHOL AT LEAST 24 HOURS PRIOR. Alcohol acts as a blood thinner and can effect you during surgery, ie: blood lose. Maybe you could schedule your girls night out for the weekend prior to the surgery. You really want to follow the instructions of your doctor for surgery to help make recovery better for yourself. Just my humble opinion.
Unread 02-14-2006, 08:40 AM

It's a lovely idea but why don't you do it a few days before as suggested above? I didn't have specific instructions regarding food or drink but I felt it probably wasn't a good plan.
Unread 02-14-2006, 08:42 AM

I agree -- see if you can reschedule your "bonding night" (which sounds great by the way ) for another night when you can enjoy the wine with your dinner.

I don't drink so it wasn't an issue for me, and I don't honestly remember if they told me to abstain before surgery. But you may want to check -- maybe with your procedure and in your hospital, it is OK.
Unread 02-14-2006, 09:15 AM

MY DOC SAID SOFT DIET, LOT'S OF WATER AND NO ALCOHOL 24 HOURS PRE-OP. hOPE THIS HELPS. GOOD LUCK.
Unread 02-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Drink, or not to drink

My doctor tole me no alcohol, but perhaps some vlium for nerve calming. I did have a couple drinks, though, it was like a farewell party, I guess. I told her the morning of the surgery, she said, "Good for you!". I think it is important to talk to your doctor. It has to do with alcohol being a blood thinner. I know it helped calm my nerves, but I did tell her so she could adjust the Iv as needed. Just listen to your doctor and remember that fear is your worst enemy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register