Abdominal recovery- when will I be able to sing again? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal recovery- when will I be able to sing again? Abdominal recovery- when will I be able to sing again?

Unread 07-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Abdominal recovery- when will I be able to sing again?

hi! im new here im from Mëxico, i have 31 years old, and I have a large submucous Myoma, my surgery is the 14th of july, I´m so scared! my dr says that a myomectomy doesnt solve my problems, I don' t have children, so adoption it's a posibility for me. im so anxious and sad, and I feel so lonely, sometimes I cried and sometimes laugh, my family and friends support me, that so good, and music heals too, cause I'm a classical singer, and I loved to sing, but yesterday i asked my Dr when I began to sing and he saids that in a month, perhaps that not posible!!! at may I was beginig to do my thesis and my recital for obtain my bachelor degree, but ohhh surpise when my dr tell me that ihave a leiyomioma of 15cm.

please I NEED TO KNOW WHEN CAN I SING!! I HAVE TO SING FOR MY RECITAL 16 PIECES, ITS HARD! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2008, 05:52 PM

Viola -

The standard recovery for a hysterectomy is 6-8 weeks. I sing also, and I know that at 2 weeks post-op I don't have the abdominal support and breath control I would need to sing anything! From your post it looks like your doctor said it would take about a month or longer for you to heal - that sounds similar to everything I've read on this site. Perhaps you can sit out a semester and start in January? Or explain your situation to your professor/college advisor - you may be able to just start a little later this fall. Hope this helps!
Unread 07-10-2008, 06:26 PM

Hi there and Welcome!

I, too, am a singer, and I had my surgery a few years ago. I had a radical TAH. I know of no reason this surgery would affect your singing voice. Of course at first at initial recovery, the throat could be a little tender and you would not want to push the voice until your throat feels ready, but again, I feel as long as you don't push too hard too soon, all should be fine. It varies too much among patients to predict a timeframe; I think this one has to rely on what your body tells you.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. You are in a wonderfully supportive environment here at Hystersisters. You're certainly not alone!

I hope you do well with your surgery and that all is uneventful and smooth in your recovery! I wish you the best; I wish you the road to better health!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2008, 07:06 PM

Because of the breathing tube that they use, you should give your vocal chords at least one full week of rest. As long as you are feeling up to it, you can sing whenever you want after that.

Your abdominal muscles have a lot to do with singing, so it probably will be difficult for a little bit. Are you used to practicing scales daily? Start slow and simple... work up from there.

oh... and make sure that the anethesialogist knows that you are a singer and to please be careful with your throat.

Unread 07-22-2008, 06:28 AM

Hi, I'm a singer too and my teacher told me to do nothing until I could support my voice with my abd muscles, then to start with sirens and whimpers, big yawns, chewing movements etc to loosen up my throat, then exercises gently.
She said you must support your voice or you could end up with nodules etc. I had a TAH on the 9th, and had a spinal cos I told the anaesthetist sbout my voice.
Hope you get on ok, don't do too much too soon, it'll come back.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register