Scheduled TVH Am I doing the right thing?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I doing the right thing?? Am I doing the right thing??

Unread 01-01-2013, 06:17 AM
Am I doing the right thing??

Hi Everyone,
I started feeling like a tampon was falling out last March when exercising. I went on line and self-diagnosed a rectocele. It was pretty big, and I began to need to splint in order to have a BM.

I have seen three docs. All of them have said that I could have surgery or wait. The last doc said that I now have a uterine prolapse, and enterocele, and a rectocele. He has the most experience of all of them, and I feel like he knows what he is doing. He told me that things will not get better, only stay the same or get worse. He said that since I am young (52) and in very good shape that the surgery would not be as difficult as it might be if I wait until things get worse. I am not in pain most of the time, but I do feel the prolapse every day especially when exercising... I exercise at least one hour per day, and I do not plan on stopping or slowing down.

After reading the posts of others, who are in a great deal of pain and discomfort, I wonder if I really need this surgery. I have read everything I can and even watched the surgery online (EWW). I'm afraid...

Anyone else in a similar situation? Am I doing the right thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2013, 06:31 AM
Re: Am I doing the right thing???

I, myself, would not wait and see.
These are not problems that will resolve on their own and surgery will not be less risky next year or the year after that....and, just because you're not in great pain does not mean you're comfortable- imagine NOT having trouble having a BM and NOT feeling the prolapse every darn day?

I cannot tell you you should or shouldn't, just that I would.
Unread 01-01-2013, 06:41 AM

Hmm, only you can answer this question. I did not have a choice. The surgery was a life saving measure for me. If I did have a choice, personally I would not have had it done. Although at 51, it's nice not to have a period.

Weigh your personal pros and cons. That should give you your answer. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2013, 07:24 AM

Thanks for your posts... I do believe that I should have the surgery. I guess I'm looking for a guarantee that it will work and everything will be fixed forever. (I have heard that sometimes a second surgery is needed if the rectocele comes back). I know that nothing is guaranteed.

I am very scared... I really just need it to be over. I am so glad that I found this site and all of you.
Unread 01-01-2013, 08:14 AM

I am much younger than you and have had the surgery. I had my first surgery at 31, and just had it done again at 34. the second one was done because of my own stupidity. I decided to help my husband build a rock wall. I don't regret the surgery at all and would do it again if needed. I'm hoping this one lasts...
Unread 01-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Re: Am I doing the right thing??

I put mine off until this year...it was a thirty year journey with prolapsed uterus. I finally got to a point this spring that I was cramping any time that I had to stand for long...I had been stage four for the last 10 years. My doctor said that I was in good physical shape at 63, and it would be easier now. I had to have anterior and posterior repairs...those have been the hardest for recovery...especially posterior. It is a hard call....you will know. I think recovery is always easier, the younger that you are.
Unread 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Re: Am I doing the right thing??

i am in same position and thoughts except i am 42 and have already scheduled my surgery, 2/18/13....tvh with cystocele, enterocele and rectocele repairs, tacking of vagina to sacrum and cystoscopy. on good days i feel crazy to be doing this. but with active rectocele problems....and sharing an office bathroom i am so over it!! bad day with splinting today.....so days like today i want it done tomorrrow!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register