2 weeks into hysterectomy Recovery - will the scar flatten out? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks into hysterectomy Recovery - will the scar flatten out? 2 weeks into hysterectomy Recovery - will the scar flatten out?

Unread 10-12-2017, 06:28 AM
2 weeks into hysterectomy Recovery - will the scar flatten out?

new:hi.im 47 and after suffering chronic endometreosis was pleased to have a total hysterectomy and I pray it is cured.i haven't yet experienced any menopause symptoms and my consultant says I need to wait 6 weeks for h.r.t.
I'm walking about..and up and down stairs which is fine..actually not in the pain I thought I'd be just more uncomfortable.
I'm naturally thin and am not bothered with the scar but will the "ledge" or raised bit above stitches flatten out?...i know its only 2 weeks but i love a bikini and am hoping by next summer tummy will be smooth again.:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekie View Post
new:hi.im 47 and after suffering chronic endometreosis was pleased to have a total hysterectomy and I pray it is cured.i haven't yet experienced any menopause symptoms and my consultant says I need to wait 6 weeks for h.r.t.
I'm walking about..and up and down stairs which is fine..actually not in the pain I thought I'd be just more uncomfortable.
I'm naturally thin and am not bothered with the scar but will the "ledge" or raised bit above stitches flatten out...i know its only 2 weeks but i love a bikini and am hoping by next summer tummy will be smooth again.:
Hi again Bekie!
I’m afraid I don’t have an answer to your scar question as I think everyone’s different (I have a nightmare with scarring). But just wanted to say that I’m jealous of your beach ready tummy!! I’m naturally slim, but haven’t worn a bikini for a good few years!! Personally, I don’t worry about people seeing my scars, they’re part of me - I have a very large on on my side from a kidney remodelling when I was 21, and I was certainly still wearing bikinis then. I just completely forget that the scars are there, and no one has ever been offended, rude or nasty about them. There are some threads on scar management on here that you might find useful - I have. xx
Unread 10-12-2017, 07:18 PM
Re: 2 weeks into Recovery - will the scar flatten out?

I just hit the six week mark and my scars are almost completely flat now. Give it time. You will get there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Re: 2 weeks into Recovery - will the scar flatten out?

Agree with the above - I had TLH 5 weeks ago and most of my scars are almost flat and blend in. I started putting cream on them as soon as glue fell off.
Unread 10-13-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekie View Post
I'm naturally thin and am not bothered with the scar but will the "ledge" or raised bit above stitches flatten out?...i know its only 2 weeks but i love a bikini and am hoping by next summer tummy will be smooth again.:
Hi & welcome,

As far as incision, once your incision has healed, your Dr can advise on this but usually once healed, apply something to keep moisture on the incision. I used coconut oil, theres Shea Butter, many more topicals, silicone scar treatments, Mederma, etc. You don't want the incision exposed to the sun bc it contributes to darkening & scarring.

When you mentioned "ledge" it sounds like you are describing a swelly belly. Do you have some swelling below the naval? If so, that's what we call a swelly belly. Its a combo of bloating, inflammation & hormones contributing to the swell.
Unread 10-13-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherjayne View Post
I just hit the six week mark and my scars are almost completely flat now. Give it time. You will get there!
I do hope so.x
Unread 10-13-2017, 03:11 PM
Re: 2 weeks into hysterectomy Recovery - will the scar flatten out?

I'm not bothered by the scar. Just hope the swelly belly bit will flatten out.with all your cures with creams and a bit of abdominal exercise I hope it does.x thanks for your replys this is a great site.x
Unread 10-13-2017, 09:47 PM
Re: 2 weeks into hysterectomy Recovery - will the scar flatten out?

As far as swelly belly-it may last weeks, for others much longer, like months. When your cleared by your Dr to exercise then do that. Planks are good. Im one of those w the swell that was too persistent. Modifying my diet & exercise is how I tackled it.
Unread 10-14-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LailaStar View Post
As far as swelly belly-it may last weeks, for others much longer, like months. When your cleared by your Dr to exercise then do that. Planks are good. Im one of those w the swell that was too persistent. Modifying my diet & exercise is how I tackled it.
Thankyou.x

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register