Anyone have late afternoon surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have late afternoon surgery Anyone have late afternoon surgery

Unread 01-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Anyone have late afternoon surgery

I just got scheduled for surgery...Feb 3, but don't go in until 1:00 for a 3:00 surgery. Anyone else go in late in the day? I've had a few surgeries but they were always first thing in the morning. I can think of a few plusses to having a late day surgery...I don't have to worry about oversleeping and missing my surgery , and I know I'll just sleep through the night (haha...except for the nursing staff waking me to see if I'm doing ok). I'm not looking forward to the pre-surgery jitters, and I'm REALLY not looking forward to not being able to eat all day. I'm gonna be a cranky mess by the time I get there . If my surgery is in the late afternoon, does that mean I cant' eat after midnight too? how about a 5 a.m. meal? hmmm??/ something to ask the Dr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2006, 09:15 PM

Hi!

Me -- They asked me to show up at the hospital at 10 a.m., but I didn't actually go to surgery till 2 p.m. I thought I'd be cranky and hungry, too -- but I wasn't, probably because of the IV drip which got put in by about 10:30. They told me at the pre-op visit that C-sections come first, and hysterectomies after all those are done. So, I'm not sure what happened before my hyst and I didn't ask. I wasn't hungry until the following day, when I was less groggy. Worrying before the surgery -- that's a tougher issue!

Hope yours goes as smoothly and easily as mine.
Unread 01-14-2006, 09:21 PM

Hi QueenMojo

I also had an afternoon surgery...and like you had wanted it scheduled for the morning, but it really worked out okay. At my pre-op I was told not to eat or drink after midnight the night before. I spoke to the anesthesiologist the night before, and I think he may have said I could have water 6 hrs prior, but I was being cautious, and so didn't have any. Going without food was fine, but I was really thirsty in the morning. I do remember them saying at my pre-op that if I was really feeling badly in the morning, to just come to the hospital early, and they would get my IV going to help with feelings of dehydration or low blood sugar. They did have a some trouble getting my IV in (due to puny veins, being cold and nervous, and the lack of water), but finally had luck once they ran my arms under hot water.

Sending best wishes for your surgery...and I'll be thinking of you on the 3rd.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2006, 09:39 PM
2:00 PM surgery

I thought I would be starving too. I was out and about that morning getting last minute things like new bedroom slippers to take to the hospital. My old ones were, well old and looked it. I also drank all the water my body could hold until the clock struck midnight the night before. Waiting until 2:00 for surgery wasn't as bad as I thought. Being busy helped a lot so leave something to do for that morning. Shop for new jammies, some cute stationary or a good book for recovery. I pray for you an uncomplicated surgery and a relaxing recovery.
Unread 01-15-2006, 12:21 AM

I'm also scheduled for TAH on Feb. 3 although I'm set to be the "first" surgery of the day due to the doctors scheduling. Of course that still might mean a wait due to emergent surgeries. I think I'd like the idea of getting to sleep in that day...I'm definately not a morning person!

I'm sure no matter when it happens, it will work out fine for us.

Sally
Unread 01-15-2006, 01:14 AM
Hi

I also had a late afternoon surgery. I had to report at 1:30 and my surgery was scheduled for 3:30 but I didnt go into the OR until 4:10. The hardest part in my opinion for a late afternoon surgery is the waiting. Just try to stay busy that morning. Believe it or not you wont be hungry. Your nerves will take care of that for you. I couldnt have anything after 2:00am. They say at least 12 hours before but ask your dr and see what he tells you. Good luck and we will see you on the other side!

Melissa
Unread 01-15-2006, 08:25 AM

I am not scheduled until 2pm so I have to be at the hospital at noon. I hope I don't get too hungry before my surgery because I tend to get nauseated when I don't eat for long periods of time. Great! something else to stress about!
Unread 01-15-2006, 08:32 AM

HI ya,
i had my surgery at 3pm but i gad to go in the hospital at 8am the day just dragged it was horrible, i was hungry thisty and needed a fag and couldnt have either.
Unread 01-15-2006, 10:05 AM

I am also a Feb. 3 princess (TAH) and am scheduled for 10:30 a.m. with arrival around 8:30 a.m. I like the idea of drinking everything I can get my hands on before midnight! Good idea. I am very calm about it all, so calm that after reading some posts here, I kinda worry about myself. I have been miserable for so many years. I had a C-section and I also had bladder surgery as a 9 year old (which I still actually DO remember what that was like) so I'm prepared for the short term misery of abdominal surgery. It can only get better from there!
Unread 01-15-2006, 11:39 AM

Hi Queenmojo
My Surgery Is Tomorrow And Am Scheduled For Noon Surg And To Be At Hosp By 10am. I Have A Pretty Close Relationship With My Dr And Already Know Something Has Come Up And Will Not Be Operated On Until 1:30pm Or After. My Biggest Concerns Are The No Coffee And No Smokes All Day. I Get Severe Headaches From No Coffee. I Was Told Nothing After Midnight The Night Before By The Admit Office But My Dr's Nurse Told Me I Could Have Coffee Around 3am If I Wanted(absolutely Nothing 8 Hours Before) However, I Also Get Very Sick From Anesthesia. So I Will Not Have Anything After Midnight. You Posted You Have Had Some Surgeries Before, So You Should Know If You Get Sick Or Not After Anesthesia. If You Do, Do Yourself A Favor And Don't Eat Or Drink Anything.
Here's Keeping Our Fingers Crossed That We Have Uneventful Surgeries And Speedy Recoveries.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register