Scheduled TLH Upcoming hysterectomy 2/2: Worried about the position during surgery - Trendelenburg | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 2/2: Worried about the position during surgery - Trendelenburg Upcoming hysterectomy 2/2: Worried about the position during surgery - Trendelenburg

Unread 01-30-2016, 04:14 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/2: Worried about the position during surgery - Trendelenburg

I'm really worried about how they position the body during this! I get very lightheaded easy and have constant slight sinus pressure. I am worried about being in that position for so long. I read on here someone's vision was blurry days after. And her face was swollen and so were her eyes. Please help me feel better about this or share your experience with me. Surgery is Tuesday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2016, 04:21 PM
Re: Worried about the position during surgery-Trendelenberg position

I have no idea what position I was in during surgery, as I was asleep through all of it. I was on the OR table, comfy and cozy with a heated blanket when I fell asleep, and in a bed comfy with a cozy heated blanket with my head elevated a bit when I woke up.

I did have some swelling - mainly from all of the iv fluid and the gas pumped into me. My vision was blurry for a few days, but I think that was from the anesthesia and then pain meds and nothing more.

It's normal to be nervous, but thousands of hysterectomies are performed every single day all over the world. It's a normal, routine procedure and your doctor and the hospital staff are well trained professionals who are very interested in your well being. It's going to be ok!
Unread 01-30-2016, 06:14 PM

I have chronic sinusitis, and almost constant sinus pressure. Any increase in facial pressure triggers a migraine. And I was worried how that might be affected.

However, after surgery I did have lots of swelling from IV fluids but the only thing made worse was nasal passage swelling. Like having a stuffy nose (and ankles) for a couple of days. I took ibuprofen every four hours for the first week which helped with reducing overall inflammation.

Six weeks later, still no out of the ordinary sinus issues.

And I pulled a muscle in my neck the week before surgery, and that was fine after, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2016, 06:38 PM

Hi and welcome,

I too suffer from sinus issues, migraines and light-Headedness too if my head is in a weird position or I get up too suddenly - I go nuts at the dentist and hair dresser when I have to bend my head. But I did not suffer any ill effects when I awoke from surgery with these issues. I would have to read my Surgical report to even know what position I was in - so glad I was conked out! There are gals who have experienced blurry vision and light -Headedness (we have articles on that in our Post Op section) but these conditions don't usually last long. Please do not assume the worst as these issues may never even happen for you. I know it's hard, but try not to imagine the worst. You need to distract yourself by doing positive things before your surgery this week. Watch a good movie, chat with friends, read - anything to keep you positive and in track.

If you are worried and anxious don't hesitate to tell your nurses and Anethisologist when they prep you for surgery.

Here is a link that may help you better understand what to expect:

What to expect - First Surgery

We are here to support you.

You might want to check in to the Pre Chat Discussion all day tomorrow to meet other gals having surgery this upcoming week.

Hugs and best of luck.
Unread 01-30-2016, 11:45 PM

Definitely express your concerns to the anesthesiologist prior to going in the OR. I was worried about my neck and hips due to arthritis and they were very glad I let them know about potential issues. That is why they come to see you before surgery. It's important to be open and honest with them as they are the one's responsible for your overall welfare while you're in surgery.
Unread 02-01-2016, 03:38 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/2: Worried about the position during surgery - Trendelenburg

The posts you read might have related to robotic Laproscopic surgery where they tilt patient back.

I read someone had s reaction to anesthesia about having a blurry vision but that is not common.

I agree that you should specifically state your concerns to your anesthesiologist and head nurse and surgeon so that they are all on the same page about your conditions.

I have fibromyalgia and my surgeon said they will make accommodations for my condition.

I hope this help. You will get through this just fine.😊

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register