New Here... should I go through with it?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Here... should I go through with it?! New Here... should I go through with it?!

Unread 07-18-2016, 11:41 AM
New Here... should I go through with it?!

Hello,

I had the VSG (sleeve) done in 2012 and since then have a hard time keeping iron levels up. My RBC count gets low so I have had a blood transfusion in the past and recently completed 2 iron infusions because my anemia was so bad. Well to follow up and find out why my RBC was so low I made a GI and a gyno appt. I met with a new gyno last Thursday. We did an ultrasound and I have 4 cysts on my right ovary with 1 being a complex cyst. Due to my periods being irregular and having a lot of clotting along with cancer on my mothers side he suggest we do a hysterectomy leaving my left ovary for hormones. I am relieved but have been in a relationship with a man that wants kids one day. Due to my issues with anemia and some sort of blood loss yet to determine where, I wonder if I should wait on the hysterectomy to try to conceive or get it done??? Also, If I do the surgery I would like to do a mini tummy tuck at the same time. Has anyone else done that? Thank you so much!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2016, 06:32 PM
Re: New Here...should I go through with it?!

Please get a second opinion! If you do not have heavy periods, it's probably unlikely that your anemia is related to your menstrual flow. If you want to have kids, or keep that option open, you owe it to yourself and future husband to explore your options and don't rush into anything.

If your right ovary is truly in need of removal, they may be able to keep the left ovary and keep your uterus. At least until you decide whether or not to have children. They can do a in-office uterine biopsy to rule out cancer, and if you have your right ovary removed, they will for sure test that for cancer.

Don't freak out about the cysts... my doctor said it's pretty common to have cysts and they often go away on their own. Maybe ask for an MRI to give you a better visual of what's really going on.

In any case, please get a second or third opinion before making any kind of irreversible decision!
Unread 07-19-2016, 08:23 PM
Re: New Here...should I go through with it?!

I agree with the PP. If there is a chance that you would want to have a child and you are able to wait, then wait. A second gyno opinion sounds like a good thing to do after your GI appt. You mentioned that you are with a man who wants kids one day. Do you want them?

Tummy tuck - gosh, wish I would have thought of that! That would have been great! I'm not a doctor, but pretty sure that would not be possible. Two different types of doctors for the two surgeries. Now, if you needed some other sort of gyno surgery, then maybe that would be a possibility, but different doctor = different surgery. There is probably a limit as to how long they would allow anesthesia to be administered too.

Don't rush to have a hysterectomy. Make sure you weigh your options carefully.

Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register