nervous nelly lady in waiting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

nervous nelly lady in waiting nervous nelly lady in waiting

Unread 01-17-2003, 07:08 AM
nervous nelly lady in waiting

I am a 37 y/o who has recently been diagnosed with endometriosis. I have already had two endometrioma cyst removed from my ovaries this year. The pain was not relieved and has come back stronger than ever. My doctor recommends a radical hysterectomy. I am not sure I am ready for that. It scares me so. I have been researching, but now my mind is full of more questions and decisions to make. :confuse: Is there anyone out their that can lend some kind of advise or direction to my search for the right answer. Thanks Sherri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2003, 07:50 AM
you are researching by posting

The great thing about this site is you have the collective experiences of 22,000+ patients on tap. The search engine is a great tool for specific concerns. If it isn't on the site, someone is going to pipe up and tell you where to find it off site.

Always a good idea to seek out a second medical opinion before undergoing major surgery. My insurance requires it for some procedures. Yes, hysterectomy is a very scary word. Put terror in my heart for five years. But, we tried everything to get me healthy and here I am, no uterus. And happy about it.

I had adenomyosis, which is endometriosis of the uterine muscle, which is a bit different than endo of the pelvic cavity, so I am not qualified to comment on treatment alternatives and surgical alternatives. I will leave that to the other sisters. In the meantime, I encourage you to ask questions, do research and express any emotions you are having. This site is wonderful for working thru the decision-making process.
Unread 01-17-2003, 08:11 AM

Hi Sherri, I'm sorry that you're having so many problems but you found the right place for support. I'm giving you some sites that might help with your search for info. I hope that they help relieve some of your worries.

http://www.centerforendo.com/QandA.htm

http://www.endometriosisassn.org/

http://www.endometriosis.org/

http://www.pelvicpain.com/adca4.html

http://www.endozone.com

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2003, 08:14 AM

Please dont be scared, 4 of my aunts had hysters and they said it was the best thing they ever did, when I had mine, I had no choice, it was either the pain of endo or die of cancer, I was glad
to have one. some basic things you want to ask, first ask if you can have a bikini cut Isee no reason why you cant, if your having it done that way. second make sure its not done on outpatient basis, thats ludicris to do that My doctor had me stay two nights and thats standard here .Make sure they give you the morphine drip that you control, and ask them to have it ready when you come out of surgery,I dint and was in pain untill I got my drip, I dint die of course but i think it wa unnessisary.I had a drip I controlled every ten minuets so I couldnt overdose myself I guess ,worked o.k then I had darvicets at day two. I was supposed to have a vaginal hyst, but I told my doctor I refuse blood transfutions, so she told me she never uses blood but for me,she wont do it that way because there is a bit more beeding and a chance that if a clip fell off she would have to cut me open anyway. well I was so glad she gave me bikini cut as she found endo I dint know I had!! she wouldnt have found that if she did it vaginally, and I would have had to get cut open again!! I felt that if she was sure she wouldnt need blood the abdominal way it must be a safer way, they can see more.I have bled not a drop, I had my incision glued, no staples on the outside, disolving stitches on the inside, and no discharge at all for me.And I dint have to get blown up with gas, I had no gas after that surgery!
I feel that if a doctor takes the time to put in enough stitches we wont bleed. my incition is about 5 inches long. I can hardley see it now in all the hair.
I have one good ovary and I wont need any hormones, ask if you can keep at least one ovary. Get up and walk only when you are off the anistetic fog, it took me till the next mornng to get up and walk, my surgery was at 4 pm so I rested all night , I am 5 weeks post op and doing real good, I almost can do everything I did before. but we are only 40% healed at the 6 weeks so we just use sense and be carefull. and if you want to know how fascinating a abdoninal hyst is go to pelvic floor.com and find out. dont get scared to see it its not all that bad, no blood or anything and makes you apreciate your body.
tamleeo
Unread 01-18-2003, 12:09 PM

To everyone who responded, Thanks for all your kind words. This site has been a God send. Sherri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register