Do I let Doc take out ovaries or not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do I let Doc take out ovaries or not? Do I let Doc take out ovaries or not?

Unread 11-06-2001, 06:34 PM
Do I let Doc take out ovaries or not?

Hello everyone. I have a new question. Today the I saw the Doctor to set the date for my surgery. We are looking at Jan. 7th. The Doctor said that he likes to go ahead and remove the ovaries on women over 40. I am 44, but I was not prepared for that. I thought we were only removing the uterus. I am not sure if I am ready to go through the hormone changes. He said that I only have about 5 to 6 years before I go through the change anyway. Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this? Should I go ahead with a total or should I not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2001, 07:28 PM

I was also faced with this dilemma...should they stay or should they go? I talked it over with my doc and his advice to me was, "if they're healthy let's keep them." However, he did leave the decision up to me. I was 49 at the time of my hyst on 8-20-01 and I am very glad I kept them! My ovaries are probably not doing me ALOT of good, but may still be secreting some hormones that are helping me. I am also on HRT, but because, as I said, I was very near menopause. I actually wavered a little bit on my decision and at the last minute, before they wheeled me back to the O.R., I told my doc to just go ahead and remove them. He said he would if he could grab them vaginally (I had a TVH), otherwise they would stay intact. I'm glad they did. At 44, if they are healthy, you still have a few good years with them.
Unread 11-06-2001, 08:11 PM

Hi!
I am 45, just had my tvh and KEPT my ovaries. I felt very strongly about this though. I am not near menopause - I don't think I'm even in peri-menopause yet. I am also not experiencing strong hormone fluctuations....yet. So, I guess, I figured if I could get a few more miles out of mine, that would make me happy. My dr. said it was up to me. So, you got my two cents worth best of luck to you in your decision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2001, 08:13 PM

I found an old thread with this same question asked. The lady who asked was older than you are, but the response by Savh was a good one. I've posted the link here so you can read it. I hope it helps you to make up your mind.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=10987

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register