What the doctors did not tell us!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What the doctors did not tell us!! What the doctors did not tell us!!

Unread 01-17-2006, 03:08 PM
What the doctors did not tell us!!

Before surgery, my doctor never told me this...
My belly would become a swelly belly, i could not get a pair of jeans on, my wardrobe would consist of gray,blue, and black sweatpants! Remember the "little black dress", now it has become the big-size black sweatpants!
I knew about hot flashes, but i did not get that, i had to get the freezing flashes...I am now getting acne, i have no clue why i am getting that! But the bigging was being tired and exhausted all the time. Going up and down the stairs would make me so tired. It's only eleven steps, but sure seems like one hundred!! Thank goodness that we have this web site, at least we are not alone! THANK - YOU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2006, 03:33 PM

I also get the cold flashes. My doctor didn't talk about those.
Unread 01-17-2006, 03:44 PM

Cold flashes here too! But Wake up in middle of night covered in sweat... During the day out of the blue, a cold flash starts at the upper part of my body then down to my feet. I feel it even inside where the uterus used to be. Feels like cold tingles in that area. It only lasts for a few seconds, but I stay cold / chilled most of the time. My hubby and 4 year old daughter have to snuggle with me in bed so I can warm up! I love the snuggling part, but....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2006, 03:48 PM

I have the freezie flashes all the time. The doc never mentioned that and chuckled when I told him about them. I have worn sweaters and sweatshirts more now than I have since I was a kid.

I will accept freezied flashes. I can always add more clothes or blankets and eventually get warmer..... With hot flashes, there is only so much you can take off without being a nudist and still be uncomfortable!

I am glad that I am not alone.

God bless all of you sisters.

Nancy
Unread 01-17-2006, 03:48 PM

I also had cold flashes along with my hot flashes. I was putting my jacket on and ten minutes later I had a hot flash. The cold flashes will go away soon. I don't have them any longer but do have the hot flashes. I also have acne so don't feel alone. can't figure out what to put on my face because its so dry but yet I have acne. Let me know if you find something good to put on the acne.
Unread 01-17-2006, 05:06 PM

The doctor didn't tell us that recovery would take so long.. I was told 6-8 weeks and you'll be good as new.. What a crock.. Yes, I feel better BUT and that's a big but.. thheheeeheh I used to use the eppy machine for an hour at level 6, yesterday I used it for the first time and I could only use it for 10 minutes at level one.. I'm so happy I had the surgery and every day I feel better and better. I hope that every woman that has this surgery finds this website first so she'll knows all of the facts.. Of course I learned them after, but all of you ladies have kept me sane and have helped me so much.. I appladed you and thank you very much for all of the support you have given me.
Unread 01-17-2006, 05:15 PM

I also have the freezing flashes. Are they related to hormone issues? I have not had any hot flashes but emotionally I am a mess. I alternate between rage and depression. And I still have my ovaries. My doctor did not mention any of this to me. I am at 5 weeks and I feel that my recovery has reached a plateau. I am back at work but am tired and achey. I had a LAVH and my doctor led me to believe that I would bounce back in just a few weeks?!?!?
Unread 01-17-2006, 07:13 PM

gadawg,
You wouldn't believe what a difference a couple of weeks can make. I am 7 weeks post op and was feeling just like you 2 weeks ago. I am feeling much better now. I am gradually working up to my normal exercise routine and I think that has a lot to do with me feeling better.
Unread 01-17-2006, 07:37 PM

No one mentioned that after a TAH you may, when vomiting, also wet yourself. Yup - puking and peeing uncontrollably. Do I know how to have a good time or what? Doc said it's not unusual - I have to wonder how much else is "not unusual" that doesn't get mentioned.

(I developed an infection in my incision site - vomiting seemed to come as a herald to the infection itself.)
Unread 01-17-2006, 09:50 PM

I was complaining to my radiation/oncologist today about the frequency of my night visits to the bathroom, which had him stumped, yet he asked me if I had any "leakage" (no thank goodness!) and proceeded to tell me it was quite normal after hyst.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register