would you try alternatives or just go for it ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

would you try alternatives or just go for it ?? would you try alternatives or just go for it ??

Unread 01-24-2003, 06:30 AM
would you try alternatives or just go for it ??

I have been having heavy periods and clotting for years, I have pretty much learned to live with it, Ihave fibroids, about 6 of them , the biggest is 2 1/2 inches, not to big,. I also have a prolasped uterus. I can bo out a week or 2 after my period and out of nowhere I will gush out a huge clot and lots of blood to the point where sometimes it overflows the pad and my pants are now nice and red, I have been embarressed many times, once at a waterpark with my kids, hard to explain why mommy had blood dripping down her legs, my youngest freaked, not to mention the faces of the adults that were around, I have to wear pads 2-3 weeks incase of this happening. My doctor said we could do an ablation to help with the bleeding , but with my prolaspe I would probably end up needing the Hyst. eventually. Should I just go for it and be done with it now? I am scared to death of any kind of surgery but I think I am also to the point where I am sick and tired of my periods ruling my life, any thoughts for me? would you just do the ablation and see what happens with the prolaspe, my cervix does extend out at times. thanks so much for this site, by the way I have sighed on the dotted line to have surgery next month, YIKES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2003, 06:50 AM

This really is a quality of life issue for you, a major reason why I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago (and very glad I did!). I did not have prolapse, but I don't think I'd want to live with that either, and I think it's reasonable to make the choice to have a hyst.. You could either see another physican for a second opinion, or you could post your question for a gynecologist on www.obgyn.net on the Women's Health Forum. It's free. The doctors volunteer their time answering questions, so you don't usually get an answer right away. Sometimes you get an answer in a hour or two though. If they don't answer in 48 hours you can re-post (forum rules).

It's very normal to be terrified of surgery. I was too, but I kept reminding myself how safe the operation is. It turned out to be much easier than I thought. I was so scared I actually tried to back out after being admitted, saying I thought I was coming down with a cold. The A man examined me and said the cough was nerves and gave me something to relax . I could have still walked out, but I also reminded myself of all the problems I was having and knew I'd come back shortly anyway!

I think it's great your doc gave you the option of ablation now and hyst later, if that's what you want. I think I'd be inclined to get it over with. Good luck on your decision
Unread 01-24-2003, 07:18 AM
I tried several alternative surgeries

and wound up doing the hyster after all. Myomectomy, new fibroids grew to replace the ones removed in 11 months. Polypectomy, twice. Hysteroscopies, several of them, ditto for d & c and laps. Basically, my reproductive system was being surgically removed a bit at a time and the repeated pelvic surgery weakened my pelvic floor over time, resulting in prolapse, urinary incontinence several times a day and a rectocele which required me to splint in order to have a bowel movement.

I had ablation by default since the multiple d & c, damaged the endometrium extensively. My periods dried up after my third d & c, which isn't a good thing. Still got the pain, just less bleeding and pregnancy would have been high-risk if I could have stayed pregnant. And the repeated instrumentation of the uterus broke down the barrier that keeps endometrial tissue out of the uterine muscle.

Glad I had the hyster. Tried and tried to keep my uterus so I could be pregnant and that just wasn't in the best interest of my unborn children. Miscarriage waiting to happen with the uterus in the condition it was in. Wasn't in my best interest to be afraid to leave the house, afraid of adult diapers, afraid all the straining with a BM would result in more fistulas and hemmorhoids.

The more surgeries I had, the more adhesions I got, which just escalated the pelvic pain. When a woman need percoset to be on the rag, time to go for drastic measures to put an end to the pain, I say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2003, 07:24 AM

I have had one friend who had an ablation and it worked great (she's been period free for a couple of years) and then another where she ended up having a hysterectomy anyway. Which is pretty much what I've read -- it works in some cases and then not in others.

I certainly think you need to do "something" however -- you can't "live" that way. I was also having similar probs and am very happy now that I had the hysterectomy (I didn't have the option of ablation -- no local doc that could do it and then I started bleeding so bad the hysterectomy was really the only option anyway). That's really the point -- you don't want to start bleeding so bad that you end up anemic, needing a transfusion, or worse.

You might also weigh what your insurance (if you have any) will cover. But I agree with the previous post -- this surgery is not as bad as other surgeries altho' there are risks with any procedure.

Do ask your doctor what happens with the ablation so that you can weigh the pros and cons better (ie. if you do end up needing a hysterectomy, does the ablation buy you a few more years or just a few months; is this an outpatient procedure; etc.).

I know its tough to make this decision, so I'll be thinking of you!
Unread 01-24-2003, 07:27 AM

Dear BJMullis:

My dear sister, if I had to live like that, I'd get on my knees, grab the Dr's hands and beg for a hyster! Bet you didn't have too!

Sincerely, you have been very brave for a long time. Bless your heart, it's your health. You deserve freedom, you've paid your dues. I salute your effort in trying to live a normal and active life!

I too have a prolapse and it's very uncomfortable along with ovarian cysts and endo. It's all going the way of the doo-doo! Next Friday is my date and I want it NOW!

Take care and prayers for a new and better life,

Sharon
Unread 01-24-2003, 07:54 AM
Bj-

Sorry you are having to make this decission. I can tell you my experience b4 surg.
I went thru many test b4 finding out I had endo. Then once I found out went thru several different procedures to try to disenegrate/ or get rid of it. I bleed alot- heavy. Fianlly after going thru procedures that didnt work. My doc gave me the choice of trying them again- Or having a hysterec.
After thinking on this- I decided to go for it. I was tired of the pain, periods, and not enjoying life with my ds and dh.
I personally do not regret it one bit.
If I were you I would weigh the pros and cons- THIS IS YOUR decission.
Read up on your condition as much as possible. Go to the HELPFUL LINKS on the pre-op message board- that has lots of info.
IF YOU DO DECIDE to do this-
the following links will help you know what you will need, questions to ask, ect.
On the home page- ON the left hand side- go to Hints-Articles.
This is a good guide to helping a LIW- know what to expect and she needs.
Good Luck- Keep us informed.
Runbout (Lynne)

Also- If you would like to read my castle story you can find it with this link
Unread 01-24-2003, 11:53 AM

Hi there,

are there other treatments/options you might be eligible for? Such as embolization? Or are you confident the choice now is between ablation and the hyst? It is always good to get at least another opinion.

But I can certainly understand the quality oflife issues. I had very heavy bleeding and some embarrassing episodes too (such as once while coaching during a soccer tournament and I bled through my underpants and shorts, had to wear sweats in 90 degree heat and then impose on a kid's father I barely knew to drive me to a sportings good store in between games to buy a whole new outfit--and yet I still waited years to have this surgery!)

It's a question of how much you can take, and whether you want to do something conservative or more radical and definitive.
Unread 01-24-2003, 12:20 PM

Hi, I had the ablation thing done in May of 2002. Because I was 34 at the time, the Dr thought I was too young for the hyst. I read about it on the web and thought, yahoo this sounds great. It was uncomfortable and I came home the same day with a lot of pain. Let's just say that vicodin and I bonded real quick. I was told the procedure would either completely stop the bleeding or lighten/regulate it enough it was bearable. I have had a cycle every month and they are "HEAVIER" than before. So now I am scheduled for the big one on the 18th of Feb.

Honestly, you should evaluate the quality of life you have been having with "your friend" intruding whenever it wants. For me, I became terrible to live with. Yelling at the husband, yelling at the kids, heck, yelling just to yell. Of course the Dr says that my mood swings are not impacted by any of my "lady" problems but I know different.

So if it were me, 'JUST DO IT" and then live it up after
Unread 01-24-2003, 12:43 PM
You'll know when you're ready

I believe you will know when you're ready. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it's how you feel and what you think that matters. There are risks involved with any surgery and when you're ready you will be prepared to take those risks rather than continue to live the way you are living. You need to weigh the pros and cons and ask yourself which risks are worth taking. It sounds like there are some risks involved in continuing as you are, too.

Good luck.

Joselle
TAH/BSO 2001
Unread 01-24-2003, 03:56 PM
thanks

it is noce to get some feedback by those that have been there or will be very soon, if I dont chicken out, I go in on Feb 7, I am getting some pre op bloodwork done tomorrow and I am scared to do that, I really hope this is the right decision, I really think it is, especially when my youngest son said to me after school, "mom, does this mean you wont get your periods anymore? " and I said yes, that is waht that means, and he then said "good, we can go to a water park without you bleeding everywhere in you bathing suit", that was 3 years ago and he has not forgot, thanks again for listening

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register