Nightmares & worried DH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nightmares & worried DH Nightmares & worried DH

Unread 06-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Nightmares & worried DH

Good morning ladies. I am scheduled for the 16th and have not really felt nervous-but I try not to think about the actual surgery-so maybe that is why.
I have been having terrible nightmares for over a week (I don't remember what they are about) but I either scream out in my sleep, jump out of bed and try to run for the door or call out for my husband. My DH is so freaked out and keeps asking me what is bothering me-& he wants to know if its the surgery on my mind??
Truth is-I don't know why this is happening-and I think I am exausted since my sleep has been disruppted nightly. Anyone else having this issue?? Don't know what to do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Re: Nightmares & worried DH

mvrusso, I too had nightmares. It mostly happened in the beginning when I got hit with the news of up coming surgery. I had nightmares... crazy ones. I was not getting any sleep. I was exhausted but my mind was racing. I had a lorazepam rx (for anxiety) to help with anxiety for something else. I always kept it. My DH was worried and said to just try it and see if it would help. It did. A sleep aid would not have helped as I realized it was anxiety and fear that was doing it. I only took 1/2 of one and I got a real good sleep. After that I was fine. (that was about a month and a half ago) At the same time I started visiting this forum and so that really helped a lot. I have about 3 days to go and the wacko dreams are starting again. The pro op nurse said to take the lorazepam and I could ask the gyno for more if I needed (I only had a few) it as that was OK before surgery. Those dreams that you are having were like mine, screaming out and looking for DH. I was exhausted. I know this worked for me. I had a half of one last night and though it took me awhile to knock off I had a good rest.... no dreams. This news shocks ourselves and maybe we try not to think about it during the day, we just try and keep busy BUT at night we have no control over our thoughts. It is my view and I don't know if this will help you but maybe call you doc and tell him/her what is happening to you. Anxiety is very normal... at least that is what I am reading from a lot of people on this forum. That in itself at least makes me feel somewhat better. You are not alone.
Unread 06-03-2011, 10:27 PM

Im not jumping out of bed or screaming, but I am having a hard time going to sleep at night, and then I am waking up all through the night having dreams of the operating room. I wake up and have to focus around the room to realize Im NOT at the hospital yet. I have actually calmed down a good bit lately (im not wanting to cancel anymore and im not craying over everything ), but Im still consumed with and anxious about the surgery. The wait sucks. I know that is what is causing the dreams. I was diagnosed with GAD several years ago, but havent been on meds for it in 5 or 6 years.......... Im actually seriously thinking about having my DR rewrite my Effexor until I get past July 5. *sigh* Im exhausted from the restless sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2011, 01:20 AM

Hello hun,
I have been exactly the same! I have my op in 3 days and for the last 2 weeks I've been having nightmares and very negative feelings about the surgery....to the point where I've written goodbye letter's to all my loved ones! After speaking to a good friend of mine who is a surgical nurse, she told me that all these feelings and emotions and 100% normal. We kind of go through a grieving process as we are about to lose such a vital organ/s but she told me to think about how good life is going to be once I've recovered, to think about all the things I will be able to do that I previously couldn't.
My Doctor prescribed me sleeping tablets because I just wasn't sleeping enough adding to my already nervous state. These have helped a lot and the nightmares have now gone.
Don't be scared or nervous, we can all do this, though our circumstances are all different we are all in the same position and I wish you the very best of luck.

Big hugs
Jacqui
Unread 06-05-2011, 04:48 AM

I have had so many nightmares this past month, that have seemed so real and I have been rather freaked out. One morning, my DH woke me as we needed to go somewhere and I asked him what he was doing back. He was confused (and so was I) until I realized that I had dreamt that he left me. Most of my dreams have been about abondonment, some about dying. I have been able to sleep, but with many interruptions. I have been somewhat calm about the upcoming surgery (which is June 9th), but the nightmares are wrecking havoc on me.

I am glad this thread was started as I thought I was crazy for having all these nightmares.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register