Don't forget the nurses! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Don't forget the nurses! Don't forget the nurses!

Unread 02-24-2002, 12:51 PM
Don't forget the nurses!

The nurses on the postpartum unit were so wonderful to me that I did not want them to go unnoticed! I had the hubby stop and pick up a fresh bouquet of spring flowers, along with several different types of fresh cookies from the grocery deli. I had nurses I had never recognized to come in, offer their thank you's and aided in helping my recovery go even quicker! When I walked the halls, one may walk along with me for a few moments, encouraging me, etc....

Don't forget them. They have a thankless job on most days!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 01:06 PM
Don't forget the nurses!

Wow Reba, I just noticed the date of your hyster and it was only last week. How encouraging to me that you are up and feeling ok enough to type! I am going in for mine this summer.
I showed my hubby your post (he's a nurse) and he said alright Reba! You are right, many go unnoticed.........

Glad you are feeling ok and keep us posted as to your recovery.
Lisa in CT
Unread 02-24-2002, 01:09 PM
Don't forget the nurses!

I too am encouraged by your post...and what a great idea! Thanks!!

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2002, 01:23 PM
Don't forget the nurses!

Something many of us have done is to bring a small basket or bowl and a few bags of candies...hard candies, lifesavers, and chocolates...and leave it out on your tray table for the nurses and other support staff. Everytime someone comes in, tell them to help themselves.

It show our appreciation, and at the same time, it encourages "drop-ins" from the staff...and they have to at least ask if you need anything so they don't appear to be mooching too much!

It's a great way to show our thanks while insuring lots of attention!

And the flowers are a lovely thought, too!

Karen
Unread 02-24-2002, 02:17 PM
Don't forget the nurses!

After all of my surgeries I always like to go back to the hospital as soon as I am feeling up to it and take a little something to all of the nurses. I have taken flowers, cards, candies and always lots of HUGS for thoes nurses that made my stay nice. I even take a thank you card to the dr. and his nurse. Once I even took in a bottle of champain for my dr. I was soo happy to be PAIN free. The nurses and the hospital staff enjoy seeing you when you are better than the last time they saw you. Even writing a letter to the hospital its self letting them know about how comfortable your stay was. Tell them what floor you were on and when you were there. This gives the hospital the oppertunity to give atta-boys to the staff members.
Great idea.
Angela
Unread 02-24-2002, 02:39 PM
Great Idea

Brilliant! Yes the nurses do do a tierless job and really appreciate patients that say thanks and maybe present them with a little something.
I took a big box of choclates in for the nurses on my floor. Also something very special for the nurse that was there every week to change my cath dressing for the supra pubic. Week after week she was there with encouragment and a clean dressing for me Lol. Great idea. Hugs Vicki
Unread 02-24-2002, 04:57 PM
Don't forget the nurses!

Leave your cute PJ's, make-up, etc...but DO NOT forget the candy for the nurses. They loved the lollipops and kisses. I too had nurses galore coming in. Even the cleaning staff was told to help themselves. They truly have a thankless job too. You will be happy you did.
Unread 02-24-2002, 11:00 PM
Non fattening gifts for staff

As this is my second go around, I'm working from experience -- the nursing staff is always getting loaded up on chocs and candy, which some of them try to avoid, so I'm bringing them a little can filled with pretty coasters for their coffee breaks. I saw it at someones house and scooted off to buy one for a hospital gift.

On an earlier go around on this subject someone suggest pizza gift certificates so they can order themselves a treat, but in my neck of the woods with various religious and various dietary laws I decided against that.

But what ever you do, do remember the nursing staff and any others that help us so much when we need.
Unread 02-25-2002, 07:01 AM
Don't forget the nurses!

I went to Target this morning and stocked up on Easter candy on sale. I found a non-Eastery basket, looks like spring though with daisies on it. And some chocolate wrapped candy...everything is on sale, so a great time to get thank you gifties! I plan on making cards for the doctors today and the "A" man.

I'm all set I think!

Sara
Unread 02-25-2002, 08:05 AM
Don't forget the nurses!

This can't be said often enough. Nurses much of the time really do have a thankless job yet they do so much. Doctors come in to do rounds in the morning and evening, but for the most part it's the nurses that are responsible for a good hospital experience.

I came to the hospital prepared. I bought a basket from a craft store for a few bucks, went to See's Candy and bought peanut brittle (their favorite I found out), hard candies, chocolate hearts, and just basically an assortment of things. But the most popular thing in the basket were SOCKS! I happened to find a website that made nurse socks. They were white socks that folded down twice (ankle socks) and were embroidered with either a stethoscope, a stick-figure nurse, a syringe, etc. They absolutely LOVED them. And let me tell you, I got the royal treatment. I don't consider anything like this a bribe to get good treatment. I believe it's just a way to say thank you, almost like bringing a gift to someone's home that has invited you to a dinner party.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register