Thank you! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-07-2002, 05:41 PM
Thank you!

I just wanted to thank you all for the very warm welcome! It really does feel like I have "sisters" out there!

Tracy, you asked me what led me to decide on a hysterectomy. Well, it's been a build up of things for 12 years. I actually went to the doctor (for the upteeth time!) because of ovarian cysts. I had a softball sized one removed when I was 18. Since then, I've been blessed with 2 wonderful boys, but was still plagued with ovarian problems. I've had cysts rupture, and had them just causing me pain off and on for years. Last year, I got my tubes tied (cut and burned, actually!), and since then have had nothing but trouble. I went to the ER in March with severe abdominal pain which ended up being 4 cysts on my left ovary and 1 on my right. They're continuing to grow. I've also had extremely heavy periods and debilitating cramps. I just can't have all this trying to work full time in the military and take care of two very active boys (ages 5 and 7) by myself. I'm also not a good candidate for the pill (have had bad side effects with all the ones I'd tried prior to the tubal). I needed a more difinitive solution. We have a history of uterine cancer in the family, too, so the doc suggested the TAH/BSO, with the possibility of trying to salvage an ovary to avoid having to take HRT. But I think I'd actually just like the ovaries gone so I won't have to worry about hurting anymore. And so...here I am! I'm actually looking forward to the monthly pain being gone and to those horrible cysts being a thing of the past, too! I have faith that it will all go well, but of course, am still nervous.
The pull down menus (I think I've read them all!) and message boards have been a lifesaver.
Well, I think I've rambled long enough this time! Thank you, again!

Take Care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2002, 08:24 PM
Hi Kelly

You have certainly gone through alot.

I just wanted to reassure you that life is very good on the otherside of the pain, discomfort, bleeding, etc. It is just wonderful to be free of that. Life is very good indeed.

It sounds like your ovaries have caused you alot of trouble over the years. I can understand why you would want to avoid that again as well. It is a difficult call as you are still very young.

I am doing very well on the HRT as are many women. There is so much available to us to try these days. The bio-identical patch, which I am using, seems to work well for alot of us.Please start discussing this with your doctor if you think you will not keep your ovaries. Also visit the Hormone Jungle if you have any other questions you would like to have answered.

Unread 05-07-2002, 09:03 PM
Thank you!

Kelly, hugs to you! You'll do great! It's so wonderful on the post-op side of this surgery. Every day I thank God I'm not bleeding anymore!

Hugs and prayers to you for a successful, uneventful surgery and a restful, complete recovery. During your recovery, remember to *rest a lot, drink a lot and walk a little* and *never, never overdo* no matter how good you may start feeling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2002, 11:18 PM
Thank you!

Hi, Kelly. Wanted to welcome you, too. Sounds like you still have questions to be decided. You will be so glad that you've found this site. No, the ladies aren't giving medical advice, but I found that after I'd read bunches on here, I was a very much better informed patient, and I believe that just helps every one.

Take care. We'll be here for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register