Post Op PMS?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Op PMS?? Post Op PMS??

Unread 03-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Post Op PMS??

My doc tells me that my PMS will be the same after TVH. Needless to say my husband was not impressed by this info. I know that PMS is ovary induced. My questions is what is the consensus out there on the PMS issue postop when you've kept your ovaries?? I was so hoping that my PMS would just go away for the most part!!

D-Day is March 8th. For the most part, I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for the input!!

LBrandt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2005, 12:05 PM
PMS!

I just had a LAVH on 2/7/05, but can tell you that by day 15 of my cycle I had the same breast tenderness, irritability, and food cravings. I kept both of my ovaries. As far as the irritability, I'm sure some of it had to do with just having surgery. I have heard some say that the PMS symptoms do subside a little. My older sister had a hysterectomy at age 29 and she said she lost track of her cycles without a period, but would notice a few days where she was craving things and irritable and then all of a sudden realize, oh yeh that's my PMS. But it wasn't something she was always totally aware of. I've also heard that the bloating, retention, cramping, etc. improves and I'm hoping that's the case for me. I read a post on here about this subject awhile back and it made a lot of sense to me . . . we may still have some symptoms of PMS, but by choosing to get rid of the ovaries we will experience menopause, not something I'm prepared to experience at this point so I will take the PMS and hope things improve. Based on my pathology report after surgery, my GYN feels I'm going to feel much better without the periods!
Unread 03-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Post Op PMS??

I had an LAVH on 2/1/05. The first cycle after was too close to the surgery date to notice anything. So far I have noticed a drastic improvement in my PMS symptoms.

Granted it's only been one cycle and the PMS symptoms varied with the cycle previously, but so far I am pleased.

Perhaps it's the improved attitude and generally feeling better that has made the difference. I'm not sure and I'm not asking too many questions, I'll just take it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Post Op PMS??

Thanks for the reply! I totally agree! My thinking is by just having eliminated the dreaded heavy bleeding, pain during sex, and no more birth control issues, I should be virtually a new woman! All of that has weighed on me so much I don't even feel like myself for 3 weeks out of the month. I'm looking forward to having more than 1 decent week a month!

LBrandt
Unread 03-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Post Op PMS??

Hi,

I had TAH/LSO a bit over 4 months ago. Went through 5 PMS-like episodes!! The first ones were out of sync, did not follow usual schedule at all: 3 times in the first 2 months, but with the usual symptoms: breast tenderness, moodiness and food cravings.

Finally my hormones must have found some balance since the following 2 were back to once a month. Great thing though they seem to get milder. Not sure yet, the future will tell.

Take care,
Unread 03-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Post Op PMS??

Hi, I'm 5 months post op and still get PMS every month (breast tenderness, bloating, cravings, mood swings, etc etc). I'm hoping this will get milder over time, but hey, it's a heck of a lot better than the horrible periods I use to experience
Unread 03-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Post Op PMS??

I had a TAH/RSO on 2/4 but my PMS was back last week, right on schedule. I was completely irritable and my breasts were very tender, but the good thing was -- no heavy, bloated feeling in my lower abdomen. Swelly belly is easy compared to the way I felt when I had PMS before. My DH was definitely surprised when I told him I had PMS and that was the reason for my moodiness --- he was hoping that ALL problems would go away. But you have to take the bad with the good, and I consider it good to not have to take HRT.
Unread 03-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Post Op PMS??

Yesterday I ate everything in the fridge and then started chewing on the handle to the fridge door!! LOL!! My breasts are very tender (more than before surgery) and I guess I have been a little irritable (but would never admit it to DH, DS or DD!!). And...

Tomorrow I will not have my second period!! YEAH!!

I miss my birth control pills terribly!! I am amazed at how much oil my face can produce! I have acne now that I never had as a teen!! And the ovulation I avoided for the past six years on the pill is back and not being very nice!! Laying eggs makes my back hurt!! LOL!!

I definitely agree with the other sisters, though. I will take a little PMS over pre-surgery pain and bleeding sixty days at a time anytime!!

I'm glad to hear the others mention that it fades... looking forward to that!!

Blessings to all!!

Janette
Unread 03-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Post Op PMS??

Well, I haven't had the hyst. yet, but my mom did. I definately rememer her having PMS every month. My brother and I used to tell her it wasn't fair that she still got PMS w/o the period. My mom did have bad PMS. From the first sign in the garbage can we would make ourselves dissappear for at least two days. She was an Orgre!! I was extremely lucky in that she was very open with everything there was to know about being a girl, even if I didn't always want to hear it. LOL. She is now going through mentalpause (her term not mine). Last month she was complaining about night sweats and I had to remind her that up until then she had PMS and that it could be that and not the flu. Look at the bright side, PMS will just tell you (and others) that those "egg droppers" are still working fine.
Unread 03-21-2005, 07:53 AM
Post Op PMS??

All I can say is that I pray I take after my mother and her mother who never knew they went through menopause! My mom had a hyst. at my age, as did my older sister. So it looks like I'm aligned with them so far! And at 2wks postop tomorrow, I feel great. However, I will be wondering and waiting to see what the next two weeks bring as far as PMS. So far I've been alot more loving to my family and I'm not as uptight as I usually am with EVERYTHING around me.

I hope it all continues!

LBrandt

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register