What do I need to do now? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do I need to do now? What do I need to do now?

Unread 04-01-2004, 08:37 AM
What do I need to do now?

I am a strong type A personality, and I am having a terrible time trying to prepare for this surgery and what it will bring. I feel like I am in quicksand. I know I have TONS of stuff to do to prepare, but I am paralyzed. I cannot stay off of this website, Thank God for it and all of you. I have a younger sister who had TVH and Post and Anterior repair a few months ago, and she seems to be a bit of a head case right now, so I am worried that I will be too.

My kids are teenagers, and will be a big help, but I know that I am a demanding person and am afraid that I will put too much pressure on them. My DH will be taking off only two or three days after my surgery, which really ticks me off, because I don't know that I will be okay by myself during the day while the kids are at school. To top it all off, I am paid on commission, so I am worried about being off work too long and about money. I hate being such a whiner. I feel like I am going insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2004, 08:45 AM

Hi bossy
From one type A to another.....first take a deep breath and chill.

Make lists of all the things you need done pre-surgery. Then, make "chore lists" for the kids and DH. Talk this over with them PRIOR to your surgery. Explain to them that if these things are not done, then it will drive you nuts, and your recovery will take even LONGER!

As far as the money thing goes, I don't have any advice. Just please don't try to rush your recovery in order to get back to work.
Unread 04-01-2004, 08:46 AM

Hello:

First I reccommend that you get a crown and wand from Hystersisters. You will feel so powerful--you will not know what hit you.

Then...
you can get the teenagers to help you with some of the chores and things that they can do.

While they are cleaning your royal court, you take a bubble bath and you will be ready to deal with what you need to do to prepare for surgery.

My kids have loved my crown and wand--I even wand my husband and the cats (the kids curl up in a ball and laugh at that one).

Have fun!!!!!! Take my advise about the wand and crown. It will help lift everyone's spirits to give you the support a "Princess" needs. At the least, if it the magic does not work on your family-it will make YOU feel better. Have fun!!!!

Pixel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2004, 08:47 AM

Hi Bossy1,
I had my surgery 3/12 and have been home from the hosp 2 weeks. I am a single mom and kind of a control freak at times... sometimes in life we get "challenges" that test us... this may be your challenge... a challenge in letting go and trusting that things will be okay and will get done... and what doesn't get done can wait. Our journeys in life have a way of testing us to make us stronger. My test was the surgery itself. I've always feared being put under anesthia... well, I passed my test... I did "ok"... and if I ever face that test again... I know I will be ok. In fact, I had 2 surgeries while in the castle. (long story, but a very happy ending)
This may be your challenge.... !!!!
Good luck on your journey! You will do GREAT.
climbcolo
Unread 04-01-2004, 09:07 AM

I am a Type A and had a TAH 4 years ago. There really isn't that much preparation. I cleaned the house thoroughly before surgery so that only touch ups were needed for a few weeks. You'll be able to do some cleaning yourself in a couple of weeks. Teenagers can put in their own laundry. You won't be up to preparing meals for about a week so either freeze some things, or rely on takeout. I asked a caterer to prepare a week's worth of meals for us.

I doubt you are going to need someone 24/7. My husband only took one day off and I didn't need him to do anything.

it sounds like you are having a VH(?) Many women I know were back to work in 2 weeks, so try not to worry too much.
Unread 04-01-2004, 12:23 PM

Don't be too hard on DH, I think you will be able to handle things ok. Mine brought me home at 3pm and did not return to work that day. The next day, he worked in the morning and came home for the day at noon. While I was glad to see him, it wasn't necessary.

I had a TAH/BSO and even with the abdominal incision was able to get in and out of bed and to the bathroom alone. A TV tray bedside held an extra water bottle, meds, tissues, crackers, and the phone.

I'm one week post-op and still not allowed up & down the stairs more than once/day. He brings me breakfast in the morning. When I get hungry for lunch, I head downstairs with my pillows for the rest of the day. The TV, the fridge, and extra reading material keep me occupied there.

My 13 yr old has been very patient with me and I try not to send him up and down too much. I did give him instructions on how to work the washer & dryer and so far, the new "responsibility" hasn't gotten old.

The biggest help has been meals brought by neighbors and the extra food I had frozen ahead of time. DH usually doesn't get home until 6PM, later if the kids have ball practice.

Best wishes,
Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register