Scheduled LSH Surgery in 6-8 weeks- LUPRON INJECTIONS? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery in 6-8 weeks- LUPRON INJECTIONS? Surgery in 6-8 weeks- LUPRON INJECTIONS?

Unread 04-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Surgery in 6-8 weeks- LUPRON INJECTIONS?

After many years of very bad periods, cysts, and fibroids the doctor performed a endremtrial ablation (sp?) 1 1/2 yrs ago and it worked until March 09. Then 32 days of bleeding. So, back to the Dr. and we decided after all the tests, it's time for the Laprascopic Hysterctomy. I have multiply fibroids (lg & sm) and a cyst on one ovary. I will be having the ovaries taken out. I have had cysts on and off since I was 18 yrs old and I'm 54 now. It has been a long road and I would love be done with the 'accidents'. Anyway, my question....I am told I will be given 2 Lupron injections to 'shrink' the fibroids and make the surgery as easy as it can be.
I read about 'daily' injections, but I am getting only two. One every 4 weeks. Anyone have previous use of Lupron prior to surgery for this reason? My niece took it for 6 months once and made her body ache.
Thank You in advance.
-Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Re: Surgery in 6-8 weeks- LUPRON INJECTIONS?

I'm glad you asked this question! I just received my first Lupron injection a few days ago. My stomach has been upset and my legs and joints ache. I was wondering if anyone else had side effects. This will be my only injection before my TAH on 5-19-09. Wishing you a speedy recovery
Unread 04-24-2009, 04:47 PM

Hi ladies,
Although I have not taken any of the Lupron shots, my doc suggested it for me too. I talked to a friend of mine (she is a CNT and her sister is an OB/GYN nurse), and she desperately warned me NOT to take the Lupron. Although I am not a doctor and neither is she, nor am I in any position to give any medical advice, but friendly advice would to do a search about the Lupron (Google, maybe)....I wanted to find out more about it myself before I subjected myself to it, and although there are benefits to this, I also saw many, many drawbacks and lasting effects and made me decide against using it. I actually went so far as to fill my script for it (which is now sitting collecting dust because I don't know how to dispose of it safetly, since there is a hypodermic needle in the package). But I have, indeed, heard that there are many side efects. PLEASE tell your doctors if any of those effects are too bothersome or do not seem normal to you. Good luck ladies. ***hugs***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2009, 06:14 PM

I am 4 and 1/2 weeks into a 3-month Lupron shot. I got a nasty flu about the same time I got the shot. I did have achy knees for a couple of weeks, but I can't say if it was the shot or the flu.
I had one period about a week after getting the shot. It was about 12 days long (the last week was panty liner heavy). I did not bleed as heavy or have as many clots. So far I have had some warm flashes and some night sweats. A few headaches but that could be the shot or my allergies since the pollen is so bad right now. Nothing else has bothered me.
I hope you figure out what works best for you. I am happy so far with the ways things are going.
Unread 04-24-2009, 06:39 PM

Hi Cindy,

I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for my LSH. Lupron helped with my 24/7 pelvic pressure since my fibroids began to shrink and it brought my blood count up since I only had one monthly after my first shot. Lupron does cause temporary chemical menopause. I had hot flashes and night sweats. I just did my best to make lupron a lifestyle for awhile. For me, lupron was a success.

Best wishes~

Mary

P.S. I used to live in Villa Park before I moved to northern Nevada. I grew up in Tustin.
Unread 04-24-2009, 11:45 PM

I am getting ready to take my 2nd Lupron shot in a series of 3 monthly shots, before my hysto. I have had night sweats, hot flashes and horrible cramps. So far i've been lucky and avoided any of the emotional trauma that i've heard about. My dr gave me pain medication to help while on the Lupron. It's not as bad as some of the horror stories that i've read online, but you have to remember that not everyone will tell you the good things, they just want to complain about the bad. So far i've been pleased with Lupron.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register