Post-op depression? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-op depression? Post-op depression?

Unread 04-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Post-op depression?

Hi Ladies - I'm 4 weeks today post TAH/BSO. I'll be 50 on 5/11 so that could be the reason I'm feeling down. However, before my surgery I was upbeat and looking forward to hitting the big 5-0.
I don't look anywhere close to 50, but I sure feel that way now. I even think I have more fine lines on my face and I feel different about myself. I'm 50 lbs. overweight and have even put on a few this past week. Anemia and a bad foot keep me from really long walks.

I had a good cry last night and told my DH not to plan a party for my birthday. I just feel so fat and ugly and have no interest in resuming sex in 2 weeks. I was one of the few that didn't have much pain prior to surgery even with endo and bowel adhesions. So I've gone from feeling pretty good to pretty crummy. My doctor would prefer not putting me on HRT unless the hot flashes get worse as my mom had endo-type ovarian cancer.

I wonder if I'll ever feel like myself again. Anyone else have problems with self image and depression after surgery?

Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Post-op depression?

Don't say those things about yourself....last October I went for a laporoscopy and approximetly 1.5 week later I had uncontrolable crying. I just started criying on my way to work and continued for half the day. Guess what........ it was my 40th birthday as well. I shut my door at work and was completly anti-social for the day. Usually the girls sing happy birthday and I did everything to avoid them. I even did an unplanned audit just to get out of the office. I beleive it was just depression and perhaps my cycle. I think your body remembers your cycle even though you have no periods. (I hope it forgets soon). By May 11, you will probably be feeling much different. Your activity will increase and the weather is getting nicer and it will be time to celebrate your birtday. At the very least have a nice supper and evening.

Take care
Unread 04-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Post-op depression?

What is it about those big decade birthdays? I told my family I might go stay in a hotel just to get away on my birthday, but I know that wouldn't help me feel any better.

Thanks for reminding me that I will probably be feeling better in a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Post-op depression?

I'm 4 weeks post op tomorrow (3-16) and 54 years AND also having mood swings. Some elderly lady at the church warned me before surgery not to let them take my ovaries because I'll never me able to cry again. Naturally I didn't pay attention and boy was she wrong. I have had more tears the last few weeks than the last few years. I've had a vey good recovery but my dad had emergency open heart two days after mine and then was rushed back to ICu two weeks later. He is now recouping at my home and I'm trying to cook and tend to him. No lifting but doing laundry and the daily cooking so he will eat. He got really depressed and wouldn't eat and just wants to sleep. Between that, getting HRT adjusted and the healing, I'm one 54 year old cry baby. My DH has been a saint but we have no answers. I'm suppose to go back to work next week and have turned in my release form, but questioning that. I know that in time"this two will pass and God has been so good", but it's tough right now. I want to be out and about, but I'm tired and concerned about him. He lives about 130 miles from me and his doctor is only 25 miles from here . My brother and sister live out of state.
Unread 04-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Post-op depression?

Oh Cathy, you really have so much to handle right now. You still need a little TLC yourself and yet you are giving so much out right now. Be very careful and don't hurt yourself. Do whatever you can to get help with your Dad. If money allows, perhaps you could get some help with your Dad, meals or housework. You really need to take care of yourself during these early weeks.

Crying is good for the soul and is to be expected after our operations. We need to be careful that we don't slip into depression.

I'm going back to work in two weeks. I work P/T as a special education aide. How about you? Do you have a desk job?

Take care,
Donna
Unread 04-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Post-op depression?

Donna,
You will be able to relate to my job. I teach third grade 23 students right now. I was doing great when I had my post op and my MD said I could go back whenever I thought I was able. I didn't want to start in the middle of the week so I told her Monday. I do feel ok, just the swelling and a bit tender in the evening. I did get in an hour nap/rest today. It's just this crybaby feeling that's driving me crazy.
Thanks for your concern.
Take care and God bless!
Unread 04-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Post-op depression?

Cathy - It doesn't surprise me that you're a teacher as you seem to have a heart for helping others. I'm a one-on-one aide to a blind 7th grade girl. We've been together since 4th grade.

Since getting ready for my surgery, I've learned that I have a little too much on my plate and that some things will have to be cut out. My three teenage girls keep me so busy and they are growing up so fast.

I went to the mall today to look for something to wear to a party this weekend. How depressing, but I did find something. Now my belly is really swollen and I am beat. I didn't have time for a nap today and I feel it.
Unread 04-13-2005, 10:50 AM
#1 reason for a pity party

Donna,
Swelly Belly is a top reason for a pity party. I had joined Curves in August and lost 18 lbs, toned up and went down 2 pants' sizes. Now I'm concerned if I'll have enough clothes that are comfortable to go back to work. I did hang on two some old jeans so they should be comfortable. The few pants I've worn since 3-16-05 other than drawstring have fit but I look like I'm pregnant. Then again, I've only had on two or three pairs to go to church and my last MD visit. Hopefully, this too will pass. My Md has released me for Curves but I haven't gone yet. Rumor has it that exercise won't help swelly belly.
Since DH and I became empty nesters, things had calmed down at the house. I had even said no to some staff developments the ed. board had offered. it's just DH ,me and DD's left behind cat. Both children and family live out state so we do travel a good bit. Especially to DD to see the grandbaby.
Dad seems to be doing better today. He had to get bloodwork this morning and I take him Friday to see the MD. Dummy me had previously made a dentist appointment for this morning, and it has worn me out. What was I thinking?
Unread 04-13-2005, 12:31 PM
Post-op depression?

I'm a third grade teacher too! How does it feel being back to work? I took the whole six weeks b/c people donated enough sick leave for me to make it 24 days (so kind). I don't know if I could handle being back to work yet....I have a difficult class this year though. I feel the same way with depression lately. I called my Dr. yesterday and got a referral for a counselor so maybe that will help. I feel irratable, teary, and fidgety. I thought it would help if I went to get my hair done so yesterday I got a foil and a cut. She ended up cutting it REALLY short so I'm depressed about that too. I hate getting a hair cut that I hate. Take care and take it easy at work!
Unread 04-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Post-op depression?

Remember that the difference between a good haircut and a bad one is about two weeks. Hopefully it will grow into something you enjoy a bit more. How nice that your peers donated some leave time to you. Our district has that option too, but I didn't participate because I wasn't planning on needing it. What was I thinking?

I'm sure it will be tough going back to work, especially with very active 3rd grade students. Hopefully you both have a stool or something to sit on. One teacher I work with has one of those tall director's chairs so she gets extra back support. Take it easy.

Drawstring and elastic waist pants are the best for me right now. I found some tops that hide my swelly belly pretty well without looking like oversized tunics. Print fabrics seem to help hide the tummy. For work attire, you might want to check out consignment shops since your size should go down when the belly does.

I LOVE Curves and wish I could go back, but our family joined a swim & racquet club last year so there goes the fitness budget. I've used the exercise equipment and weights, but it's not nearly as fun as Curves. The equipment, support, music and fellow patrons at Curves are far superior to anything I've tried before.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register