New, Scared and Feeling Alone | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New, Scared and Feeling Alone New, Scared and Feeling Alone

Unread 05-27-2006, 08:24 PM
New, Scared and Feeling Alone

Hello all...
I am feeling very scared, and very alone. Two weeks ago I went in for my yearly routine visit. I did have an issue that concerned me, my periods went from 7 days to almost 2 weeks long. I didn't think anything of it, but my Dr. noticed my uterus was enlarged..and she ordered tests. I have been diagnosed with Adenomyosis, and I am now scheduled to have a LAVH on June 22.

I am very happy I found this site, it has eased some of my fear, but I still can't help not feeling so scared. I have told my friends and family about my surgery, and have received little support in the matter. My husband has been great, but he can't really understand the fear I am feeling. When it comes to friends...I feel I am starting to learn who my real friends are and who are not.

When I express my fear to some of my friends and family about the surgery, they are like 'What's the big deal?" In my eyes, this is a big deal. I just wish I had more support, I am feeling very emotionally and physically drained. My mind is going in many directions.

I find myself worrying about what will happen, what can happen, before and after this surgery.

Am I crazy to feel so confused? I would love anyone's advice...because I am making myself sick with worry, and fear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2006, 08:28 PM

It will be ok. I think sometimes people don't realize it is a surgery requiring a person to be completely knocked out. I was lucky to express my fears to my DH. When I told my mom I was a little nervous, her response well then don't have the surgery.

The ladies here are wonderful. You can jump into any conversation at anytime and noone minds. Which is nice.
Unread 05-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Stay in Prayer

Hey Girl,
Stay in prayer. Everything will be fine. I wish you the best of luck. I am having a total hysterectomy at the end of the summer. The support I am getting from my fellow hyster sisters have been wonderful. Keep your head up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2006, 08:58 PM

Hi JamieStarr and

We're happy to have you as part of the Hystersisters community! We're nearly 100,000 strong, and I venture to guess that nearly all of us were scared, to varying degrees, about our upcoming surgery. A hysterectomy is a major operation, and it's natural to be worried.

IMHO, the general public (e.g. people who aren't having one!) tend to view the surgery as much less serious than it is. I believe, in part, it's because a hysterectomy is such a common procedure and is so seldom life-threatening.

If you aren't getting the support you need off-line, come here and you will be assured to get all that you need from those of us who have been there, and others who are in the same stage as you are in your journey to good health.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 05-27-2006, 09:01 PM

I, too, am not getting much support. I'm the only one in my family with endo and no one understands why I would want to put myself through menopause before I have to. I try to remind them of the pain and that no periods or pain will be much better. I'm glad I found this site so I can get support from somewhere. No support from husband, either.
Unread 05-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi!

OK, you sound like me telling my story, other than I KNEW something was wrong . The only difference is I am having a TVH June 5th. As far as support, I have heard the NO BIG DEAL too. The only one that seems to understand is my BEST FRIEND of 30 plus years and DH. I have found out when I first found this site(week ago) that I have hundreds of friends and they all want to support and help you through this "great adventure". This group of women are amazing. Just ask any question on here and see how fast you not only get 1 reply but many. Best of luck with the surgery . We both have the same problem being fixed .I would love to know your outcome, keep us posted as I will do the same.
Unread 05-27-2006, 09:38 PM

Hi JamieStarr,

A hyst is major surgery and not like having a tooth pulled at the dentist.

Sounds like your friends and family are being insensitive to the ~normal~ fears (yours) that come up in pre-op.

There is that old saying...you don't understand something...until you have gone through it yourself. Therefore, they can't relate and they don't see the big deal.

So...you just hang in there. We Hyster Sisters are hear to listen and help if we can.

Mary
Unread 05-27-2006, 09:54 PM

Hello, I just wanted to reassure you that everything will be fine. I had a lot of problems and it took a few years to convince anyone that it wasn't in my head. After my hysterectomy, with the path results, they discovered I had adenomyosis. It's almost been a year since my surgery, and I don't want to say it was easy, but overall I'm glad it's over. I am on hormone patches now, which was a surprise to myself even (with both parents having female cancers). Good luck. And it really is a big deal. All of us who have gone through it know.
Unread 05-27-2006, 10:22 PM
You've come to the right place for support

Dear JamieStarr, This site is great As far as surgery, you will be fine...it is not that bad with pain meds. Typically, you'll feel "uncomfortable" which is really not bad. Tired is the adjustment with this procedure. I know how you feel as far as support. I've got precious few that seemed concerned. Many asked "Why?" Well, gee...I just want an extreme makeover/major surgery (ha! ha!) Please utilize this site; praying to God and the support I got here put my mind TOTALLY at ease. You can do that, too!
Unread 05-28-2006, 05:16 AM

Hello

This is a great place, you can come
and vent whenever you need to.
You'll never be alone here: everyone here
knows what you're going through.
Take one day at a time and things
will go well. One little step at a time!

Marili

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register