Increased sensitivity post-op 20 days | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Increased sensitivity post-op 20 days Increased sensitivity post-op 20 days

Unread 04-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Increased sensitivity post-op 20 days

I'm new to this site and have a few questions. I've had increased sensitivity since my surgery which doesn't seem to be getting better. I'm finding it difficult to find pants to wear because of this. As I'm feeling better and going out more, this is becoming depressing. I also feel conflicted about what I can do. My only restriction from my doctor at my 2 wk. post-op visit was no lifting over 25#. I vacuumed 2 days ago and felt a slight pull in my abdomen. Does this mean I shouldn't have vacuumed? Thanks to anyone who can offer me advice with these issues!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Re: Increased sensitivity post-op 20 days

Belly sensitivity is normal. I think as you get up and out more, the more sensitive it gets - at least, that's been my experience. Try to softer waistbands. I wear sweats and basketball shorts. No jeans - they hurt! Some ladies wear dresses.

You were released at 2 weeks?! Wow. Well, I still wouldn't vacuum. It's a lot of pushing and pulling and uses abdominals. Just take it easy for a few more days and if you still have pain, call your doctor.

Take care of yourself! You only get one chance to heal right the first time, huh. Be careful. Take care and keep us posted
Unread 04-01-2012, 12:46 PM

Hello! Well from my experience you are totally normal! I'm at 8 weeks and still get swelly belly when I do too much! Sorry to say that jeans are most likely not going to be your friend for quite a while. :-) But the good news is that yoga pants will be happy to be your BFF until you're feeling back to yourself!

Sounds like you must be healing pretty well if your doctor has released you for all activity except lifting, but at 3 weeks you are far from healed! Remember there is a lot going on inside you right now so slow down and don't rush to get back into things. You should take a look at the Check Point articles on this site. They do a great job at explaining what to expect along your way to recovery.

Oh and as for the vacuuming...put it away and don't even think about it for a few more weeks!!! Either get someone to do it for you or become friends with the dust bunnies. The pushing and pulling, as minor as it seems is not good for you right now. I tried to vacuum at about week 4 and had terrible soreness, cramping, and spotting afterwards.

Best of luck to you! HUGS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2012, 07:26 AM

Thank you for your input. I can now drive short distances without having a blanket btw. my seat belt and me. My issue is that I'm going back to work next week and I have to wear casual pants. I'm still dealing with the increased sensitivity. Even now, by the end of the day my belly has increased swelling without having done too much during the day. I'm on my feet all day at work and I'm concerned about returning. It's nice to know that what I'm feeling is normal.
Unread 04-09-2012, 07:36 AM

Hypersensitivity is a result of nerve regeneration. It's just a normal part of the healing process. I hated it though. It was so bad week 2-week 4 even having underwear on drove me nuts. I guess we can look at it in a positive way and know it's because our bodies are making themselves better?
Unread 04-09-2012, 07:49 AM

Hi there. I agree with the other ladies response in here. From my own experiences so far which is only 4wks post op and my trying to do more than i should i left me with cramps and spot bleeding,,,and i have read the checkpoints over and over again to make sure i was listening to the do's and dont's at my stage of recovery, and ive still managed to hurt myself. click on hysterectomy checkpoints at top left corner and look for the weeks of post op that your in right now and it will tell u how much to do and not to do and it also gives info of how you may be doing emotionally and physically at this point...i had very swollen belly and very sensitive, and i wore big baggy sweats all the time as i couldnt handle anything on my tummy at all until the 4wk mark i was finally able to wear a pair of spandex pants which are very loose. and yep i really think my jeans are a thing of the past at least for awhile anyway. i havent even tried to put them on as i know they will feel uncomfy and i dont even want to put myself through that cuz i know i will just get emotionally upset, so why bother, ime just staying in loose pants,..Are you able to talk with you boss at work and explain how your tummy is and maybe they will allow you to wear other pants that are comfy...And yes what you are going through right now i believe its normal as i went through it and ime still going through it...so hang in there..and i really hope your work place will be accomadating to your needs right now...peace be with you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register