Stairs !!!!!!! Oh, Oh, I think I'm in big trouble now | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stairs !!!!!!!  Oh, Oh, I think I'm in big trouble now Stairs !!!!!!! Oh, Oh, I think I'm in big trouble now

Unread 10-21-2002, 09:41 AM
Stairs !!!!!!! Oh, Oh, I think I'm in big trouble now

How does the stair climbing work???? My bedroom and bathroom are on the top floor (14 stairs in all) and my livingroom and kitchen are on the main floor.

I took one look at that flight of stairs last night and thought ohhhhh, ohhhhhhh another mountain to conqure.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2002, 09:59 AM
Stairs

Hi!!

Oddly enough, when I was released from the hospital, I was given only the orders of "no sex, nothing in the vagina at all, and limit your activities." All my do's and don'ts, I got from this site. Which were a lifesavor! I have 13 steps, and like you, my bedroom and bathroom are up that mountain. The kitchen and living room are on the main floor. My DR told me to take them slow, one foot at a time, pausing on each step. Limit those steps the first week I was home to once up and once down. So if you get lonely or nosey, pick that time carefully. Like AFTER the bathroom visit! LOL

Good luck with everything!!! Heres hoping to seeing you on the other side!!

(((HUGS))))
Unread 10-21-2002, 10:15 AM

I climbed stairs several times a day, less than 48 hours after a TAH. My doctor said no limit; using stairs would help me recover. He said it would hurt like hell, but oddly it didn't hurt at all. I took all the pain meds that were prescribed for me, and I do have a high tolerance for pain. Fortunately, I have a bathroom on the second floor. Since you don't, go easy on the coffee if you drink it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2002, 02:33 PM

Hi, Special Angel!

I had a laprascopy-assisted vaginal hysterectomy, and I, too, was concerned about my stairs! I have 17 stairs up to my bedroom and the only bathroom in our apartment. My gynecologist said it would be easier for me to do stairs with the LAVH surgery than it would be with the long abdominal incision (I had three very small abdominal incisions). I managed quite well, thank God - I'm glad, too, because I wanted to be downstairs on the recliner, right in the middle of all the family activity, rather than in bed upstairs all day, alone! I kept taking the pain medicine for a few days after the surgery when it was time to, regardless of how good I felt. I think that was a good thing for me to do. After that, I took it when I felt I needed it.

Just go slow on those stairs! My husband or my 12-year-old would go upstairs behind me or go downstairs in front of me for the first few days just so I could steady myself on someone in case I felt weak or lost my footing. That was nice. If you'd like someone to do that for you, I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

Hope all goes well for you,

s,

Sue
Unread 10-23-2002, 02:47 PM
Stair climbing

I live in an apt and the parking is on the other side of my building. I thought the same thing before I had my surgery - I live on the third floor and counted about 27 stairs to climb. My doctor said it would be ok stair climbing for me, just not to over do it.

I had a horizontal bikini-cut about 5 inches. removed uterus, cervix, r ovary. I never had any experience with abdominal surgery before - so I arranged to stay with a friend for a couple of days after my surgery - she lived on a ground floor. Maybe not a bad idea for you too?

I felt ok, so I decided to give it a try a couple of days afterward and was able to go up the stairs ok. For me walking the long distance to my apartment was more difficult because I got tight feeling.

Certainly was much easier to walk than after having a baby!! Good luck with your surgery - when in doubt check with your doc, make a running list of all your questions?

Take care , Lori

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register