Post surgery oxygen anyone??? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post surgery oxygen anyone??? Post surgery oxygen anyone???

Unread 04-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Post surgery oxygen anyone???

Quote:
Originally posted by climbcolo2002
Oxygen is sometimes used to clear the lungs.

I had two dental appointments this week and they were after my last dose of advil so I was in a fair amount of pain. I told the dentist to gas me up good! When they were finished, they turned off the gas and left me with just oxygen for about three minutes to clear my lungs, they said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2004, 11:33 AM

Another side note to the nasal oxygen....mine was hooked up to some kind of alarm system. Every time I started to doze off and perhaps breathe a little shallower, it would start beeping. My dh got a little ticked because I was trying to fall asleep and the machine wasn't letting me so he'd say...take a deep breath.

Funny how you forget certain things until someone brings them up. Never had to take the breathing treatments but the nurse kept asking me to cough.

Blessings
Unread 04-03-2004, 12:12 PM

My surgery lasted 4 hours and I was in the recovery room for another 4 hours, with oxygen turned way up. My BP, respirations, and oxygen level were very depressed. My recovery room nurse took very good care of me and kept reminding me to take big breaths. I never had sugery before so was somewhat concerned but my nurse was so on top of things I did not worry.
Unread 04-03-2004, 02:04 PM

Hi Ladies

I am 2yrs post op TAH and still remember it as if it was yesterday. I was given oxygen as I had a PCA with morphine, I was told by my Doctor that oxygen is given as morphine can surpress breathing, it is no big deal and you are so high with the morphine that everything seems a fuzz. Hope all goes well with your surgeries and I will see you on the other side as a new princess. By the way the operation is not as bad as you think.

Happy healing
Hugs from over the pond.
Jane
Unread 04-03-2004, 05:50 PM

I always get oxygen. I am astmatic so I guess that is why. There is nothing to it. Nothing to worry about. I have had it through the facial mask and the nasal tube. When you have it in your nose it can kind of itch. But that is about all.
Carrie
Unread 04-03-2004, 05:51 PM
about oxygen....

Hi this is Marcy aka seeingeyeblonde!
I too am a LIW but just thought I would add this....I will be going in for a TAH/BSO May 5th. I also have sleep apnea and have to use a breathing machine when I sleep as I stop breathing aprox. every 3 min. when I sleep without it. So the oxygen issue for me does not seem too annoying :0. I use the "Nasel Air" type mask that simply is inserted into your nostrils and a small tubing wraps behind your ears and then there is about 6 feet of tubing between the machine and myself so that i have plenty of room to toss and turn, hehe. but i dont do that much anymore. I have been told that i will not have to take my own machine to the castle as they should have one available for my use while there. I just don't know which one i will be using when i finally realize where i am, hehe. So although annoying at times it should not be all that bad.

Good Luck!!
Unread 04-03-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanks all

I appreciate all the info!
Hugs back across the pond Jane !

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register