Time Off Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Time Off Question Time Off Question

Unread 11-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Time Off Question

Am I completely crazy to think that I can have a TAH on the 30th of November and be back to work on December 19th? My boss goes on vacation that week and so I really need to be back to work atleast half days. If I can't be then they'll cope with it, but what are y'alls thoughts?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Time Off Question

Hi,
I had a TAH in the beginning of June 2004 and I wasnt' able to go back to work by July 17 or so. I healed well and had a good recovery but there was no way I was ready to go back to work in 6 weeks, so I"m thinking 3 weeks is unlikely. They didnt even want me to drive for 6 weeks post-op. Depending on YOU, and your doctor's advice, of course, because everyone is different. Maybe if you have a desk job, and can get driven into work, and work half days, it might be a long-shot possibility.
Just remember, you have only one shot to give your body the time it needs to heal properly. and treat yourself kindly during this recovery period.

I hope your surgery goes smoothly and your recovery goes quickly!
xoxo
k9
Unread 11-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Time Off Question

I wouldn't if I were you. I'm 7 weeks post SAH and repairs, and I'm not ready for work yet. Activity still causes pain and I'm still tired after everything I do. Even the social aspect of working (being alert, talking to people, etc.) would be exhausting. And you have so much internal healing to do. Even if you feel well, it's important to rest alot, and you can't bend, lift or drive.

Miz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Time Off Question

I agree with the others, that would be pushing it. You really don't want to compromise your healing time. Can someone else cover for you? If you go in part-time even, I bet you will be stuck doing too much too soon, and your recovery will take even longer.
Unread 11-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Time Off Question

I wouldn't count on it. Week 3 can be one of the worst ones. It has been done, but if you don't have to, don't.
Good luck with your surgery!!!
Unread 11-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Time Off Question

CharityT,
My two cents...
I wouldent advise going back that early eithier. To many risks; and you are still kind of loopy from residual pain meds. I went back to work after six weeks...in hindsight wish I would of waited two more weeks. And I am the proverbial "tough as nails old bird!"
You will really slow your full recovery up...'gotta look at the big picture! It is time to make your self come first...the job second.
I truly know how hard that is.
Best wishes to you!

(hi! to tanner413--fellow April fool sister!...we can really celebrate the holidays this year! yay)
Unread 11-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Time Off Question

CharityT,
I only work 1 day a week and didn't go back to work until 7wks post op. Like the others have said you only get one chance to heal and you need to give it your best shot to do it right. I wasn't driving until 3 1/2wks and even then it was hard and I only drove if I had to. I was so glad I took my time with everything I returned to doing as I healed beautifully, I still get tired on days. All the best with your surgery.
Lilly
Unread 11-22-2005, 08:01 PM
Time Off Question

OK -- time for my , or even 25 cents!

I also thought I'd have to be back at work sooner rather than later. In my case, I am the boss -- I run a $125 million community bank with 50 total employees. So if anyone needs to be there -- both in terms of setting a good example and in terms of making day-to-day decisions -- it's me.

This is what I did: I took six weeks off. That's right -- six weeks. I went in for a bank board meeting at about 3 weeks post-op, but other than that I didn't set foot in the place for six weeks. (I did take some phone calls and my home computer is set up for work, so I could keep plugged in for e-mails, etc. if needed.)

What I'm trying to say is this -- if I can do it, anyone can do it! I think your co-workers will step up to the plate in fine fashion for you and they'll probably respect all the work you do even more by having to support your boss in his/her absence.

Take the time off. If you must, be available for one phone call at 10:00 a.m. each day for questions, but resist every urge to go into work! I mean this -- rest is the key, not work! The work will wait (and wait, and wait, and wait )

Hope this helps. You deserve to be pampered, and pampered you shall be.
Unread 11-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Time Off Question

I'm worried about being off from work too. I also run a small company. I'll be relying on the people who work for me to keep things going. A week or two I can imagine but 6 wks..(sigh) I was hoping to work from bed via laptop/taking phone calls starting a few days after surgery. I have plans to set up a mini office bedside. Is that wishful thinking? I'm having a SAH on 12/29.
Unread 11-23-2005, 10:18 AM
look in post-op

There is a very long thread in the Post Op board about this. Most people said, "no way", but there were a few success stories about returning to work very early. I was surprised. You might like to take a look at it. I'm not sure what the post was but I believe it is marked as popular and has been active in the last two days.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register