Tons of Post Op questions, even though I am pre-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tons of Post Op questions, even though I am pre-op Tons of Post Op questions, even though I am pre-op

Unread 07-14-2004, 09:25 AM
Tons of Post Op questions, even though I am pre-op

Hi, everyone. I am stressing way too much about post op things. My surgery is scheduled for about 1 week away, and I just don't know what to do. I have a friend who is 5 weeks post op, and says I should post-pone my surgery.
I am not sur yet whether my surgery will be abdominal or vaginal, we'll decide at my pre-op appt. which is th day before my surgery. I think my biggest concern is my oldest daughter goes back to school the week after, but 2 days following my surgery is when we are supposed to meet her teacher. I have read that I can take short walks, would a walk to her class room from the front door of the school be considered short? I cna' not let my child start schjool without meeting the teacher. Over the last 4 years we have had problems,a nd I have had to transfer her to other classes, prior to school starting. She needs to know if there isgoing to be a personality conflict prior to the first day, and I feel I have to be there to, make an educated decision.
Also, my husband is only going to be able to take the first week off work, so that is going to leave me home with my 3 year old, by myself the second week. We do not have nayone who can come and stay with me, maybe a few drop in's on their way to or from work, but no one to stay all day.
HELP!!!!
I am not worried about the surgery, I am prepared for it. BUt I keep telling myself women have c-sections all the time, and immediatly start taking care of a newborn, why can't I take it easy the first week with my husband home, and then the next week resume some similar activites, such as fixing my 3 year old a cold lunch, or sitting outside with her while she plays. Anyway, any type advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2004, 10:07 AM

Dear Lady Lucy,

At 2 days past surgery you will most likely still be in the hospital and meeting with someone new will be the LAST thing on your mind. Is it possible to call the school and see if you can set up a meeting prior to your castle date? Also call your doctor's office and see if you can get some of your questions answered now rather than later. The more info you have going into surgery the more comfortable you will be with everything. Talk with your doctor about your concerns with your three yr old and talk about the option of postponing until you can find a better recovery situation. At two weeks you will not be able to pick up your little one (I coulnd't even pick up my cat untill four weeks post-op).

Every sister's story is diffrent. What might be right for some may not be right for you. When in doubt, get as many answers to your questions as you can and then go with your gut reaction. No one knows you better than you.

Hope everything works out for you and may you have a speady and uneventful recovery.

~Firggy
Unread 07-14-2004, 10:11 AM

Thanks for your input, I am finding new stuff out everyday here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2004, 10:22 AM

At 2 days post op I was just able to leave the hospital that afternoon and had all I could to get home and lay down, I couldn't imagine a meeting at day 2, Firggy is right, you'll also be most likely still on strong pains meds and still foggy. Just peeing was a project on day 2.

The first week is the hardest, I don't have any children so I don't know about picking up little ones, but if you don't have to pick the 3 year old up try renting her lots of movies she loves and having lunchables prepacked meals for her during the day or like you said a quick cold sandwich.

Take the offers of the drop ins, they are very helpful, my family took turns coming by and would offer to vacuum and stuff to help me, when my DH went back to work. I even sent them all thank you cards when I was feeling better.

Good luck, I'm sure it will all work out one way or another!
Unread 07-14-2004, 10:32 AM

I am exactly one week post op and I feel pretty good. I had my surgery on Wednesday morning and was up walking around the hospital Thursday morning and home by noon on Friday.

I was also very worried about taking care of kids after my surgery(3 & 6). Yesterday I sat outside and watched them play in the water sprinkler for awhile.

My husband took off work while I was in the hospital and my first night home but then had to go back.

Just keep on reminding yourself, it will only get better!

Stormie1
Unread 07-14-2004, 02:23 PM

If you have a TAH, meeting the teacher probably wouldn't be an option 2 days after surgery. I would suggest trying to meet with the teacher beforehand.

Depending on your type of surgery, you may well be able to take care of the 3 year old after your DH goes back to work. BUT, that depends on your Dr's orders, how you feel, and how prepared you are --meals prepared in advance and in the freezerf; easy to fix snacks/foods on hand. You won't be able to pick your little one up, or chase about the house or yard. If she can be entertained with "quiet" activities--movies, coloring, playing with her toys, "reading", it's conceivable that you could get by without help. It sounds like your oldest is at an age where she could be Mommy's helper after school.

I had TAH, and after the first week, I could pretty well take care of myself, but that's about it. The healing is extremely taxing; just taking a shower wore me out. I was lucky that I didn't have anyone else to look after, and had DH, and friends and family to take care of me. Perhaps you'll be able to have surgery vaginally; the recovery is supposed to be easier.

Hope everything goes really well for you and your family.
Unread 07-14-2004, 02:51 PM

You can do it... at 3 you don't have to lift. Stock up on color wonder books and markers for her. make ahead meals for you two to eat together. Can DH fix supper at night and maybe do sack lunches for you and your child? As far as the older child teacher meeting, I would see about meeting with him/her early. Explain to them that you will be having major surgery and will not be able to make the originally scheduled meeting. I am sure that they will accomodate.

Whether or not to reschedule your surgery depends on a variety of factors... why you're having it done, how long you've been waiting, how long you might have to wait for another date, how much pain you're in, etc.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register