Tomorrow is six weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tomorrow is six weeks Tomorrow is six weeks

Unread 03-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Tomorrow is six weeks

Tomorrow is six weeks since I've had my TAH. My livable symptoms are constipation and exhaustion at the end of the day, they don't really prohibit me from anything though. I would love to start working out but I've been experiencing lower back pain since before my surgery, and it is definitely getting worse as I return to normal activity. My doctor is not convinced that the pain is related to surgery/recovery and referred me to a chiropractor. This is my second week back at work, and if I didn't have the back pain, I would probably feel pretty good. I've been taking 3 stool softeners with laxatives every other day and it seems to help. Has anyone experienced the same post op symptoms and if so, how did you deal with the back pain and constipation issues? I heard that it isn't great to take laxatives often, but they seem to provide the relief I need. Also, how long does the fatigue last? Are there any good remedies that help increase the energy level?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Tomorrow is six weeks

Are you drinking lots of water throughout the day? I drink around 12-15 glasses every day and have not experienced any constipation. I am usually not a water drinker but I didn't want extra pain from other areas! I experienced quite a bit of back pain also but have tried stretching and not sitting or standing for long lengths of time. This seemed to help me. You didn't say if you were taking HRT but backpain sometimes is one of the side effects of certian patches.
I can't imagine going to a chiropractor at this stage. I still can't lay on my stomach without having some pain. You also might try a heating pad. I hope your pain gets better soon!
Unread 03-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Tomorrow is six weeks

i'm 6 weeks tomorrow too. have my checkup on thurs. still have not returned to work, probably next mon.my only complaints are insomnia, some bowel problems{ i never feel as though i'm totally emptying out-sorry,TMI}. tummy is still tender/sore and numb right above incision. still uncomfortable sleeping on stomach. other than those trivial items, i'm feeling good. i drink lots of water, take vitamins, walk and try to eat healthy. no hrt yet. 48, tah/bso.and i've loved being at home!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Tomorrow is six weeks

Hi, I'm 6 weeks tomorrow too. I had TAH and bladder tack. I return to work on Wednesday. I am also 48 years old. Following my return home from the four day hospital stay I had severe loose bowels but on the 4th -5th week had bad constipation. I waited a week to call the doctor and they suggested laxative. This did work for me by the 3rd day and I seem to be ok now. I did start back to the gym on the 3rd week using treadmill only. I try to go every day if possible. Not sure if the exercise confused my body and caused the constipation but that was the only thing I changed. I did drink lots and lots of fluids especially water while taking the laxative. It's funny reading others comments but my doctor released my on third week and told me to come back in nine months. I was surprised thinking that he would want to see my again but he did not. He did check to see if my vaginal cuff was healing properly. Hope you are feeling better soon!
Take care
PJosephine
Unread 03-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Tomorrow is six weeks

Thanks for responding. I drink a lot of water too, but it doesn't seem to help. The x-ray revealed that I have 2 pinched nerves in my lower back. Not certain how that happened. It was so uncomfortable lying on the table, but it was worth it to get some temporary pain relief.
Unread 03-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Tomorrow is six weeks

About the energy level - I have been taking a multi viamin, calcium pills for 100% daily requirement, a B complex in the morning and then a boost shake with a banana and ice mixed in the blender for a night time snack. If I forget, I feel more tired and am more cranky then usual (my husband noticed, not me, and went to check and saw I hadn't had the Boost shake. So it isn't just my imagination)

Anyway, that is my experience with energy levels. Also, I'm making myself go ouside and walk around my house and yard each day. Seeing signs of Spring and breathing the fresh air seems to be helping my mood tremendously.

I'm so sorry to hear about your back, more pain is the last thing we need right now. I managed to get a cavity down into the nerve and an abcess on a molar, so I'm on pain pills and an antibiotic AGAIN, and get to go have a root canal tomorrow. I can't wait until I quit falling apart.....

Debbie
Unread 03-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Tomorrow is six weeks

have you tried drinking a fiber drink? that helps me alot! i use citrucel, and colace. and of course alot of water 64 to 94 ounces a day, plus different juices. as for the lethergy, i take a really good multi vitamin. i switched from a national brand to one from the health food store, it made a huge difference. i also take a liquid vitamin called b-total. it is great! big improvement!. good luck to you lady!
Unread 03-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Tomorrow is six weeks

Hi LBCNJ - I finally resorted to a glass of prune juice every day and finally got regular. As for fatigue, I finally felt I could do without an afternoon liedown after 3 months. I take a good multi-vitamin daily. I'm sorry to hear about your pinched nerves in your back - I hope you'll be able to get some therapy to relieve the pain.

Best wishes and s.........Wendy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register