Do I keep my ovaries?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do I keep my ovaries?? Do I keep my ovaries??

Unread 06-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Do I keep my ovaries??

I have been diagnosed with adenomyosis and will be having a hyst (will be scheduling next week). My doc wants to take out the ovaries as well because I have a history of endometriosis. The question I have is whether or not it is really neccesary, especially since I have not had endo pain since the birth of my 2nd child 18 years ago. Is it possible that the endo went away to never show up again? I am 47 and want to have the benefit of my ovaries into menopause (and beyond!)

Cathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Do I keep my ovaries??

I am scheduled for my surgery on July 5the and am contemplating the same questions. I am leaning toward having them out. I like the idea of going through a "short" menopause...but at the same time...am uncertain about my final answer. My Doctor said that of all the oby/gyn female doc's he knows who have this, 99.9% of them have their ovaries out...
Unread 06-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Do I keep my ovaries??

I'm 41, and had planned on keeping my ovaries, but a surprise dermoid on the right ended those plans.. My small remaining bit of left ovary, is not working and I am in permanent menopause according to my bloodwork. I don't know what you mean by a "short" menopause, but I can tell you that at 7 weeks out with no hormones I am having difficulty sleeping, headaches and major hot/flases and night sweats. I am flashing about 15-20 times per day, and while they are not painful like my adeno was, they are a nuissance!
You need to be aware that even if you keep them, they may not work either temporarily or permanently like me. ( I still agree with what my DR. did by leaving my small bit in in hopes it would work)
I am exploring low dose hormones, but not sure what to do. I wil talk to my Dr. this coming Friday.
Keeping them is wonderful if you can, but I just wanted you to know that even the best laid plans don't always work out. Just wanted you to be aware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Do I keep my ovaries??

I had my hyst 5.5 years ago. I was able to keep my ovaries. Yesterday I had them both out. I was hurting bad. When my doc when in yesterday I had an abudance of scar tissue on my left ovary and colon. I also had a cyst on my right ovary. It's a hard decision to make. I was 30 when I had my LAVH, but didn't want to go through menopause so early. I'm now 36 and after what I was told what the doc found, I feel getting my ovaries out was the best thing to do. Good luck in whatever decision you make
Unread 06-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Do I keep my ovaries??

Ah.....the perpetual ovaries or no ovaries questions! Very controversial issue. I will tell you what everyone here (including me) would want you to know and then I will give my case(for what that is worth!). The overarching answer is 1. Do your research (good you came here-these ladies are crazy knowledgable!), Internet, books, talk to others. 2. Speak candidly with your doc and ask lots of questions (that we will fill your head with...hahaha!). This is your choice-and it is a case by case, woman by woman choice-do not listen to anyone who gives you pat answers or absolutes. Just not how it works! I am 41 and my doc (brilliant woman!) and I voted for keeping mine. Why? 1. I am just 41 and the mean age for natural menopause is 51....means my little guys can keep pumping hormones for me 7-15 years. 2. I am NOT a candidate for any type of HRT so that would leave me "high and dry" on the hormone game to the bitter end and that would be bad for me and would be tragic for those around me. 3. My ovaries are endo-free, nice and plump and healthy. No cysts, ever. That's all I have to say about that! Blessings to you and you work to plan the best hyst and future for yourself, sisters!!!
Unread 06-17-2006, 10:20 AM
Do I keep my ovaries??

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftaxi
I'm 41, and had planned on keeping my ovaries, but a surprise dermoid on the right ended those plans.. My small remaining bit of left ovary, is not working and I am in permanent menopause according to my bloodwork. I don't know what you mean by a "short" menopause, but I can tell you that at 7 weeks out with no hormones I am having difficulty sleeping, headaches and major hot/flases and night sweats. I am flashing about 15-20 times per day, and while they are not painful like my adeno was, they are a nuissance!
You need to be aware that even if you keep them, they may not work either temporarily or permanently like me. ( I still agree with what my DR. did by leaving my small bit in in hopes it would work)
I am exploring low dose hormones, but not sure what to do. I wil talk to my Dr. this coming Friday.
Keeping them is wonderful if you can, but I just wanted you to know that even the best laid plans don't always work out. Just wanted you to be aware.
Thanks for the info Karen. My Doc says that he can start me on hormones, that he believes are much better than they used to be, immediately so that the menopause sypmtoms would be minimal...I'm 45... We will see....it is difficult to know what to do....
Unread 06-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Do I keep my ovaries??

Decisions are always tough. My "fears" stem from having a DVt last year. I have had coagulation studies and they were all negative, and have been cleared to use hormones by my internist and my surgeon(after he talked with my internist. It still is a hard decision to make. Part of me says go ahead you may get some relief, another part says yoooooooou can hang in there and ride it out and not put yourself at risk for another DVT. The DVT happened after a knee arthroscopy, and we all feel it was a surgical fluke in combo with my birth controll pills.
Ahhh having the hyster hasn't made me any better of a decision maker!! Some how I will come up with a solution, because having a hot flash when it is 95 degrees outside gives an entirely new meaning to hot and humid!!!
Unread 06-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Do I keep my ovaries??

Thanks for all your input, ladies! I am still leaning toward keepng them. I am happy with how I feel and worry that I will not like "me" without ovaries. Moreover, I will not like having to suddenly adjust to a new way of feeling and being. Too much unknown, like trading one set of problems for another. I will be seeing my doc this week and will let you all know what we (I) decide!

Cathy
Unread 06-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Do I keep my ovaries??

I haven't had my sugery yet, so I cant speak from experience, per se. But, I can offer you the advice that I got from my Doc and the other sisters...
in a nutshell...
1. From the doc...I do have endo on the one ovary I am keeping, and due to the problems I have had in the past, it will more than likely come out eventually. But, since that is not a definite, he reccomended keeping mine..his words.."do not trade the possibility of recurring endo, for surgical menopause." He plans on lasering off the endo during the hyst and then researching different options for treatment after.
2. Other ladies have said, like you have heard- "keep them, keep them, keep them" or "chuck them, chuck them, chuck them" each side with a very valid point.
I reccomend reading the post op boards and the hormone jungle just to get an idea of what may lay ahead.
3. I have also heard, especially with the ovary situation...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This is so definitely a choice you need to make with your doctor, but please do not just listen to him. Research research research. The implications of this decision are very far reaching.
Go to the search link and type in ovaries and you will probably get unlimited threads asking this very question.
Each case is individual.....don't make the final decision until you are satisfied.
Good Luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register