How long for driving after a Robotic? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long for driving after a Robotic? How long for driving after a Robotic?

Unread 12-29-2010, 08:11 PM
How long for driving after a Robotic?

I really need to plan for this. I have 3 kids that need to be picked up at the bus stop and after play practices - 2 kids, 2 different school - 2 different sides of town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Re: How long for driving after a Robotic?

My Dr. didn't let me drive until my first post-op check-up which for me was 3 weeks. It all comes down to when you get off of pain pills.

Also the extent of your surgery and how fast you heal. Can you turn without pain? Can you stomp on the brakes without pain?

I suggest a small pillow or towel between you and the seat belt for extra protection even when you are cleared for driving.

G
Unread 12-30-2010, 06:51 AM

I was cleared to drive a stick shift at one week, but found that at first my mental clarity wasn't all that good. Really easy to get distracted, so driving kids right away maybe not so good. I think it was still after effect of the anesthesia, because it got better pretty fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatrix View Post
I was cleared to drive a stick shift at one week, but found that at first my mental clarity wasn't all that good. Really easy to get distracted, so driving kids right away maybe not so good. I think it was still after effect of the anesthesia, because it got better pretty fast.
Dear Aviatrix,

I was told by my doctor I had to wait 2 weeks before I could drive. Boy it drove me bananas not being able to be behind a wheel.

Sandra
Unread 12-30-2010, 08:07 AM

I am having robotoc next week - my doc said as soon as I'm not taking pain meds I can drive...
Unread 12-30-2010, 10:06 AM

I was good towards the end of week 2/beginning of week 3. You'll be surprised how much you use your abs to turn and apply the brakes in your car.
Unread 12-30-2010, 11:25 AM

Told two weeks by my doctor. Sounds like a breezy recovery to me. Last year when my foot was reconstructed, I didn't drive for six months!
Unread 12-30-2010, 12:44 PM

I drove two weeks and one day after my daVinci surgery (total hysterectomy). I didn't have any problems and felt capable - I just kept my small travel pillow between my belly and the seat/shoulder belt due to my healing incisions.
Unread 01-02-2011, 09:20 AM

Ok, seriously, please do not drive for at least two weeks. Anesthesia and all that medicine takes weeks to be flushed out. My mental ability to make clear and concise driving decisions was totally jacked up. I was also on pain meds for three weeks due to a late diagnosed bladder infection. I, once felt strong enough to drive to Wal-Mart to pick up more pads and totally had to have an older lady call for help to help me off the the ground. I would definately rely on neighbors, friends, family,and buses to help you with your taxiing for your kids.
Unread 01-02-2011, 09:23 AM

i had the davinci and my doctor had me wait 3 weeks to drive. its hard, but you have to do whats best for your healing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register