support stockings | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

support stockings support stockings

Unread 05-28-2003, 02:51 PM
support stockings

I have a question for anyone who knows, do they still give you those support like stockings after you've had a hysterectomy? My sister had a TAH about ten years ago and I remember her wearing those thick over-the knee stockings. I guess they were to give her support when walking and also to help blood flow.

Do they really help after surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2003, 03:04 PM
support stockings

(((((((((Rojones)))))))))))))),

Whether you get the hose or not is up to your Dr.

I did not have them but alot of ladies do and others yet have ones that fill and deflate with air.

It is your Drs. decision.

Best wishes on your surgery,

Pamcat
Unread 05-28-2003, 03:05 PM
support stockings

Hi

Yes, I did have the support stockings. I had to put them on in pre-op, but now they go all the way to your feet. They came off a day after the surgery when I was walking thus the blood was circulating in my legs.

I don't know if all docs have them put on or not, but mine does.

Do they help? I can't say one way or another - I just used them for one day while I was in bed. I'm assuming they helped

Big

Patty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2003, 03:18 PM
support stockings

The kind of stockings you get after surgery, if you get them, are not the same kind as you need when you're up and around. The TEDS are specifically for post-op or for people who are bedridden, is what I was told. Support hose are for people with vascular insufficiences.
Unread 05-28-2003, 03:21 PM
support stockings

I had both the compression stockings and the automatic leg massagers. I have a genetic tendancy to develop blood clots so it was a good idea in my case to have them but I'm sure a lot of doctors do it for every patient.

When I was first in recovery and the first day in my Castle room, not only did I feel a little hemmed in because of being connected to the IV, catheter, O2 monitor, O2 tube and leg massagers - making it difficult to move - but the morphine also conked me so hard I completely forgot I had a body below my neck. It was like, "Oh look! I have a right arm. I forgot about that." Needless to say, moving my legs was the farthest thing from my mind.

My surgery was on a Wednesday. I had the nurse help me take the leg massagers off so I could get up to go to bathroom late in the afternoon (it was hard to bend down in bed to reach them) and she left the room and never remembered to put them back on. Since I left the hospital early Friday morning, I had the leg massagers on for about 24 hours. I took the compression stockings off sometime late Thursday night and left them at the hospital. By then I was walking around often, off the morphine and moving easily so I didn't really need them.

I have received the bill from the hospital. The set-up cost about $185 so if they really did prevent a blood clot, they were worth it.
Unread 05-28-2003, 03:21 PM
I had the inflatable kind....

...they're attached via velcro (kind of like a huge blood pressure cuff) to each leg from below the knee to the ankle. They inflate every few minutes and are to prevent clotting while you're immobile that first day.

I loved them in the beginning---the massaging effect actually helped me sleep...but by day two they were a little annoying, as as long as I was moving about they said I didn't need them.

hope this helps!
Unread 05-28-2003, 05:10 PM
support stockings

I had both kinds. The TED hose went on first, then right before I was taken to the OR on the stretcher, the nurse put on the inflatable stockings.

The inflatable ones were nice, like having a massage, though I did get tired of them after awhile.

The TED hose on the other hand didn't fit very well, plus my big toe kept slipping out of that hole in the end and driving me nuts!

These stockings are very important as they help prevent blood clots post-operatively.
Unread 05-28-2003, 05:12 PM
support stockings

I am going to the castle 6-11-03 for a TAH/RSO and I have mild hypertension. My dr. says I will have the support hose and leg massagers for during the surgery and immediately after. I have had 2 other surgeries in the last year (gallbladder surgery and then a gynecological lap) and both times I got the stockings. I loved them. I thought they were cozy and comfortable.
Unread 05-29-2003, 05:09 AM
Yes, they help

The stockings have a mild massaging quality about them which helps prevent your blood from pooling in your calves and causing a blood clot while you are inactive still. The automatic pumping devices help even more. Joint replacement patients have a higher incidence of blood clots and they have to wear these stockings for a full 6 weeks and take a blood thinner, so they are very effective. Once you are up and about and walking 3-4 times a day and getting up tothe bathroom you can usually take them off.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register