Upcoming hysterectomy 2/10: what difference does it make if they take the cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 2/10: what difference does it make if they take the cervix? Upcoming hysterectomy 2/10: what difference does it make if they take the cervix?

Unread 02-02-2015, 04:24 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/10: what difference does it make if they take the cervix?

They are taking my cervix as well..I've signed a waiver to say they can take my overies if they don't look good..what difference does it make if they take the cervix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2015, 04:56 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/10: what difference does it make if they take the cervix?

Taking the cervix means A) you MUST be careful during your recovery and do NOT have sexual intercourse until cleared by your doctor, usually 6 weeks, maybe less or more depending on your healing. Usually a minimum of 6 weeks of no sex. Sex before clearance can damage the stitches, introduce infection and can set your recovery back by weeks. B) some people find that their orgasms/sex may feel different. I can tell you that it took nearly a year but now my orgasms are as good as they were before surgery.

I think the single most important piece of advice that I can give anyone is this...you have one chance to heal right and multiple ways to heal wrong. Take it easy, don't do too much too soon (in other words follow doctors advice don't do stuff coz you feel good because the next day you might pay a price) ignore men who make you feel bad, ignore a dirty house and dirty everything and focus 110% on you. This is major surgery and you owe it to yourself to do it right. And do NOT compare your healing to others. You are an individual and heal at a different rate to others.

I hope I haven't scared you. Despite my complications I would RUN to the OR and do it all over again if I had to. Better out than in I say!!!
Unread 02-02-2015, 06:03 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 2/10: what difference does it make if they take the cervix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatVonDj View Post
They are taking my cervix as well..I've signed a waiver to say they can take my overies if they don't look good..what difference does it make if they take the cervix?
It really depends on women. No one agrees. I heard it helps keeping pelvic tonicity and anyway it really helps for vagina lubrication.
But I decided to keep my cervix and ovaries and reading posts on this forum I think I was right for me. I think it's less painful (only from incisions) and my vagina never hurt. I didn't want a vagina cuff with stitches instead of my cervix. And as I had no stitches inside, I had nearly no bleeding at all. Very light spotting during two days after surgery.

But you have to be sure your cervix is perfectly healthy and you have no history of cervix cancer in the family.
If not, no reason to take out a healthy organ. They can't replace it if you change your mind. Talk about it with a doctor.
My surgeon wanted to remove it because it's easier for them. But as I never had anything but good cervix smears, she agreed to keep it. And I'm happy she did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2015, 06:10 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 2/10: what difference does it make if they take the cervix?

It depend on your situation - some women have conditions that make removal of the cervix necessary, but others, the cervix is completely healthy and there is no need to remove it.

I decided to that is was important to keep my cervix, and had a supracervical (subtotal) hysterectomy. I am only 6 ˝ weeks post-op. I cannot give you a long-term perspective, but I am very satisfied with my choice at this point.

I was given almost no information by the medical community, other than being handed the same stupid pamphlet three times. I wanted to make a very informed choice, and the pamphlet was not it. I did tons of research--reading endless medical journals. What really surprised me was how little concrete research they have. The studies on the long term risks of hysterectomy, or studies comparing the long term outcomes of different types of hysterectomies, from my reading (although they talk to you otherwise), are limited. What money is there to exhaustively study the long-term sexual dysfunction or other issues of total- verses subtotal- hysterectomy?

I ended up choosing to get a supracervical hysterectomy for the following reasons:

1) It is a simpler surgery -- there is less cutting and less reconstruction. This means that there is less likelihood of damaging the complex ganglia of nerves in that area, which if damaged can lead to numbness and possible sexual dysfunction, less risk of damaging other things, like bladder/ureters, and an easier recovery.

2) Because they are not cutting and reattaching ligaments to your vagina, there is some evidence that in the long-term, there is better pelvic floor support.

3) You will find many women on this site complaining here about sex after hysterectomy, often related to the vaginal cuff created by a total. There are complaints of its too short, feeling scar tissue inside, numbness, ripping…yuk. Even the liability release that I had to read and sign said something like -- your vagina may be too short after the surgery. I would rather my anatomy stay as in-tact as possible.

4) There is medical research that shows that the cervix plays an important role vaginal lubrication.

I actually had to fight my doctor to keep my cervix -- she kept telling me the "standard of care" was to always do a total-removing the cervix. However, she could not give my any reason other than I might get cervical cancer in the future. Well, the “standard of care” used to be to chop out everyone’s healthy ovaries, too. They definitely found out THAT was a bad idea.

As long as you have no history of cervical problems, no other risk factors like HPV or a family history of cervical cancer, and you don’t mind getting regular pap tests (cervical cancer is one of the most easily detected and easily cured cancers), I am a strong advocate for keeping your cervix.

There is the possibility of continued very small amounts of cyclical bleeding. About 20% of women report that they have a bit of spotting each month. It depends on how much tissue is left and the technique/skill of the surgeon. Most women in the studies that report they have cyclical spotting report that is not bothersome, however. So, you would have to decide that this would be okay, since the likelihood is fairly high.

Here is a good article summarizing that state of the current research and giving you cites to start reading and research, if you’re interested.

http://ijcci.info/editorials/444-vol4a1

I have spent tons of time reading and researching this issue.

Best of luck!
Unread 02-02-2015, 01:38 PM

Oh wow thank you for your help ladies..I'm going to talk to my dr today. X
Unread 02-02-2015, 02:02 PM

Personally I think many women over think the whole sex thing. In worrying and stressing about it it ends up being worse than it actually is. Like I said before, it might not be the same straight away...mine weren't. I went from having easy, insanely intense, orgasms to blah took forever orgasms. A year and a half later My orgasms are back to normal. Or possibly even better as there is no pain now. Sadly there is no way to know which way will go for you.
Unread 02-02-2015, 02:46 PM

I have read that if you keep your cervix you may have mini periods. I wanted to end all of that so I had them remove my cervix.
Good Luck to you on your surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register