How soon to work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How soon to work? How soon to work?

Unread 04-08-2004, 01:54 PM
How soon to work?

OK, I haven't asked my Dr this yet - I will when I see him next week (I have so many questions), but how soon do most people get back to work. I am at work now, so you see what I do, lol (spend all my time on hystersisters.com). I'm scheduled for TAH/LSO on 04/27/04, almost a whole month before school is out (I work as a secretary in the school nurse's office), and I really need to get back here ASAP. I was hoping to return to 1/2 days by around the 10th of May. I can do my job from my desk (not much walking around) and I can always lock the door and lie on the cot here (I'm not very busy) if I need to.

Is going back to work that soon completely unheard of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2004, 01:57 PM
How soon to work?

Most of us are told 6-8 weeks. I guess it would be possible to go back earlier, but not sure about that early. You aren't going to want to sit at a desk all day, much less be awake all day.
But that's just my opinion.
Unread 04-08-2004, 02:13 PM
How soon to work?

Thanks - I need your opinions!

I'm feeling some pressure from the higher-ups to get back ASAP (when I told one boss I was having the surgery she even said to me: "Can't you wait until June to have it done?"). I told them I would try to come back in two weeks if I could, and now they are all planning on it. I was wondering if two weeks would be too soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2004, 03:32 PM
How soon to work?

Hi,

Check out the responses to this current thread about this subject: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=137214

Also, read my recovery journal (the link is in my signature.) It can give you some idea of what a TAH is like and what is and is not possible.

Granted, everyone is different, but the recovery period for a TAH is usually 6 to 8 weeks. You won't want to do anything to jeopardize your health and healing. After all, you only get one chance to heal properly and this is it. Work will still be waiting when you get back to it, but what you do during recovery can impact your health for years to come.

s,

Lisa
Unread 04-08-2004, 04:00 PM
How soon to work?

I asked my dr if I could go back after 4 weeks and he strongly discouraged it. He mentioned that fatigue is severe after this surgery and would be concerned that going back to soon would cause a set back in my recovery. I've decided to take his advice and am expecting to be off from work the 8 weeks he has suggeste.d If I feel good enough earlier than that well great but if not well work will just have to deal with it.
Unread 04-08-2004, 04:28 PM
How soon to work?

I'm having TAH April 20 (not sure about ovaries yet, will find out at pre-op 4/9). My doctor told me plan on six weeks, but that he has some patients that return to work full time after 3-4 weeks. I'm hoping to be able to return part time after 4 weeks, but will see how it goes. I'm lucky in that the people I work with are being very supportive and don't want me to come back too soon. Since they're going to be donating leave time so I will continue to get paychecks while I'm out, I'm thinking they're not trying to get rid of me, especially since a lot of my work is going to pile up until I return. My supervisor feels that your health is very important and not to rush anything (he had surgery on his back last summer so that helps).

I think 2 weeks is pushing it, but you won't really know until after you reach the recovery stage.

Barbara
Unread 04-08-2004, 04:40 PM
How soon to work?

Wow Daisy456 are you blessed ! What a wonderful place to work!

Christielee....I have to go back in four weeks due to my off time pay being 100. a week and even that will be hard for me to manage on as a single person with a low paying job.
I wish I could take six.
I wish you a speedy recover !

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register