Got surgery date, but cancelling. DH being awful - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got surgery date, but cancelling. DH being awful Got surgery date, but cancelling. DH being awful

Unread 03-17-2004, 03:59 AM
Got surgery date, but cancelling. DH being awful

Well, I personally cannot wait to get this done! My MIL asked my hubby if i was upset about this. He told her and i quote "Hell, no! She has been ready!". Unlike Opaque, I was fortunate enough to have a hubby who "pushed" me to go see the doctor. Luckily, him and his mother are very close and his mother had one at 39 years old. He understood. My hubby only had one condition on me getting it done. I had to make sure the doctor gave him plenty of time to be able to get home to be with me. He insisted that I would wake up to him. opaque, I will loan you my hubby if you like. Most women only wished they had a hubby like mine. Now, my ex-hubby that is a whole other ballgame. He was an a**. He was such an a**, at my oldest child's 2nd birthday (I was pregnant with my second child who turned out being my largest). I brought down my son's bike and he had the camcorder going. A friend of his asked him hey, Ed, what you got that set on (he was behind me looking at my rear). The ex replied "Wide Angle". So, I tossed him and found the man i am married to now. All men could take a lesson or two from him. He is open with his feelings and right now is not concerned about how long it will be before we can have sex again. Heck, he didn't even mention it, I did! LOL. Call me a little horndog but I love my hubby and enjoy being with him "that way". opaque, I wish you the best. MY surgery is still 6 weeks away. I am sure I will grow very scared as time nears. Right now I am just really nervous cuz I know what I am about to do to my body and the risks involved. I also hae serious respiratory problems so this surgery is a bit risky for me in that respect. But, I want my life back just like all the ladies here did. Good luck, hun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2004, 11:00 AM

Just a little note to you ladies who are waiting...... The wait truely IS the hardest part.

Many of you who have had babies will remember that nesting feeling you got just before you went into labor. You are probably going to go through something like that before this surgery. My advice to you is to take full advantage of that. I swear, there is nothing like a woman with a mission. You can get SO much stuff done! My house was an absolute show piece by the time I was wheeled into surgery.....

But in reality, you don't need to be worried. I did so much around my house before my surgery because I was afraid that I would be laid up for a long time afterwards......Or, (crazy me), I was obsessing that something terrible was going to happen to me and I would die or become incompasitated with my dressers and closets not organized! I got rid of the old, torn and stained underware and bras too......lol. Didn't want anyone to think I actually wore stuff that looked like that! I know it is silly now, but it is amazing the things you think when you are faced with this decision.

Relax, sure it was no picnic, but it was.... in a way..... almost like being on vacation. All that stuff that doesn't get done while you are away, will wait for you, trust me. Take my advice, milk this thing as long as you possibly can after surgery. If your dr. says 6 to 8 weeks before you can vaccume.... LISTEN! Seriously, when are you ever going to have an opportunity to not feel guilty about taking it easy again. Give yourself permission!

Hope you are all feeling better soon...... like I am, heh, heh, heh!

Val
Unread 03-17-2004, 02:54 PM

Val THANK YOU!
You must have been reading my mind..... LOL

I started last night on the storage area, cleaning it out and moving stuff around, Boy was hubby mad as i made him do all the lifting I just directed LOL!

This morning before my Dr's appointment I started on the shoe rack throwing away old worn shoes, and putting the rest away all neat and tidy
Unread 03-17-2004, 05:24 PM

Hey Deb-

Don't forget your linnen closet....... Remember, someone else is going to be changing your sheets and washing your towels for a few weeks. Ahh, won't that be nice! Fresh sheets!!!! Done by someone else!!! LOL!

Val
Unread 03-17-2004, 05:56 PM

You know, funny thing this was mentioned. I have 6 weeks from tomorrow until my surgery and i am starting to pull closets tomorrow. I bought two new wardrobes and am moving all winter stuff upstairs into the attic. i am cleaning out the kids's closets, my closets and labeling everything for my hubby and mother-in-law so they can find where I put everything. The food bins for the animals have already been labeled for dogs and cats. At least when i am done, I won't have any spring cleaning to do. LOL
Unread 03-17-2004, 06:10 PM

Just for you..........

My understanding about the GnrH antagonists (Lupron, Synarel) is that they can be taken for no longer than 6 months (in an entire lifetime, not 6 months at a time). The side effects for some are next to intolerable, requiring discontinuation; for a few others, the side effects are noticeable but not as bothersome. Since the longest you can be on it safely is 6 months and, if I'm correct you're 40 years old, you would have to bank on the fact there would be adequate shrinkage of the tumors and your uterus AND that they would not grow back until after menopause and hope they would shrink then. Again, my understanding is that the level of shrinkage when it does occur is not dramatic, and also that most fibroids grow back almost immediately after stopping the drug. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that is what much of the literature says. I do encourage you to research this yourself and come to your own conclusions, however.

Aside from the side effects, have you looked up and informed yourself of the potential short- and long-term risks associated with this drug? This is of foremost importance for you to do for yourself in case you are thinking of taking case, and secondly in order to tell your DH. I don't recall all the risks, but there can be long-term and permanent health consequences as I recall and that is even if one stays within the six-month treatment period. Please do extensive research on this drug before you consider taking it.

If you believe in God and pray, you might try what I did with your DH. I felt pressure from my DH to have the surgery and I'm still trying to make up my mind; he feels it will be the answer to all my medical problems, including daily headaches and migraines. Perhaps it will, but there is no guarantee of that. I told my DH I was praying to God to direct me as to what to do because God knows what is best for me (I am praying fervently because I'm so indecisiveness and know God will help me), and that I was praying that God would give me the knowledge to know when my decision was the correct decision. In others words, I was leaving the decision up to God, not me, not my DH, not my friends. Since my DH is also a believer, he understood what I was telling him.

I hope this makes sense. I do know that women taken Lupron, but please read up about it and don't take it lightly. If I am incorrect about anything I have posted about Lupron, I hope the sisters will let me know.

I would like to see you be personally happy with your decision and not feel pressured in any way. My heart and prayers go out to you.
Unread 03-17-2004, 07:22 PM

gal522, hello, and thanks for your reply..
Personally, I DID research on the drugs. That's what made me decide against it. My DH was thinking I was a fool for not trying the drug route. I had to literally sit him down and show him side effects. The Dr wanted to try depo shots to rid me of my period. On the official Depo website, it says "After a year , 55% of women have no periods". I asked him if he wanted to wait a year to see if I were in that 55 percent. meanwhile, yes, my periods WOULD get lighter. Big deal. My fibroid pain is constant, not just when I have my period. So what if they don't grow more.
I asked him if he wanted to live like this for another year, with the possibility of me having light periods for several months straight. (I think thats why depo makes such a good birth control. who wants sex when they are bleeding?LOL)
In the end, I figure the drugs might buy me a year or 2. MIGHT. Then I'll be sitting right back here where I started. or Worse. I think I'd have better luck hitting the lottery than finding a more permanant way to getting my life back. yes, it's still a gamble. But the odds are in my favour.
Unread 03-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Lupron

Hi opaque,

I'm so glad you researched Lupron (or any of the GnRH antagonists used).

For those reading here you don't know, the most common side effects include: hot flashes, lower sex drive, vaginal dryness, bone loss, weight gain and bloating, depression, possible severe pain resulting from rapid shrinking of fibroids, possible increase in cholesterol levels, possible increased risk of cardiovascular disease. One of the most serious side effects is the loss of bone mineral, which can lead to osteoporosis. The decrease might not be reversible; in some stueies, bone loss continued for as long as a year after the treatment was finished (that's why the FDA generally limits the use of GnRH agonists to six months).

There is also an organization called The National Lupron Victims' Network who report that in their own experience the side effets of GnRH can be permanent, and in some cases debilitating.

I just say, stay informed, don't trust doctors implicitily, and you've done a great job!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register