Are you taking it easy enough post-op? - Page 34 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are you taking it easy enough post-op? Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

Unread 02-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Re: Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

good luck to you.you take it easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2012, 11:17 PM

Well Kathy1970 i wish i knew your dr's recommendation I have been taking it easy on what not to lift, but tonight at work i lifted a box that was a little more than 10 lbs, but was halfway lifting it and thought oh it should be ok well NOT stomach felt werid, heavy like and a feeling of sorness not sharp pain or anything but sorness luckly i have tomorrow off....rest for me....and at 12 weeks i am still fining i get exhausted quickly if i do too much now where is this list they really need to give it to everyone so they know do not do this or that or lift this or that, we are not mind readers
Unread 02-05-2012, 07:56 AM

I was astonished when I was released from hospital - they gave me a very generic after-surgery what-not-to-do list that was not specific at all to hysterectomies or even just abdominal surgery in general. It had "as tolerated" for stairs, lifting, sexual activity. Yes, you read that right! No mention at all of waiting six weeks.

If not for this web site and knowing what not to do, if I had followed those instructions, I would have been in the ER within a week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2012, 08:09 AM

Here too.. A very skiddish list. I am just in shock at the amount of time it really does take to heal..
Unread 02-05-2012, 10:42 AM

I am too, my Dr made it sound like at 6 weeks everything would be a bed of roses and it isn't.

I'm very emotional.

I made an appt to adjust my anti-depressants and have my family practice doctor run a hormone screen on me. I told my hysterectomy doctor that I was very emotional and was having heavy night sweats and he said "Your fine, your ovaries will work for another 6-7 years"

Hubby and I had sex and it was stiff and a bit painful and now I am spotting lightly, I haven't bled a drop since the surgery. I don't know if it is stitches dissolving or from the penetration.

I'm still having super huge swelly belly. I showed my husband last night and he made a sad face and said "Poor baby"

So I am confused. Really confused. Am I fine? My Dr told me I was? Am I over reacting? I don't know but I do know it does take alot longer to heal than I was anticipating.
Unread 02-05-2012, 10:45 AM

I received a time table of physical things I can and can't do over the next three weeks, however the actual process, feelings and emotions I'm learning along the way x
Unread 02-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokmelon View Post
I am too, my Dr made it sound like at 6 weeks everything would be a bed of roses and it isn't.

I'm very emotional.

I made an appt to adjust my anti-depressants and have my family practice doctor run a hormone screen on me. I told my hysterectomy doctor that I was very emotional and was having heavy night sweats and he said "Your fine, your ovaries will work for another 6-7 years"

Hubby and I had sex and it was stiff and a bit painful and now I am spotting lightly, I haven't bled a drop since the surgery. I don't know if it is stitches dissolving or from the penetration.

I'm still having super huge swelly belly. I showed my husband last night and he made a sad face and said "Poor baby"

So I am confused. Really confused. Am I fine? My Dr told me I was? Am I over reacting? I don't know but I do know it does take alot longer to heal than I was anticipating.
Spotting lightly is to be expected , proceed with caution the few sisters on here have had major complications so go slow hun, xxx
Unread 02-05-2012, 11:23 AM

I am 12 weeks along and emotions are still a part of it i like to refer to it as my silent stalker never know when it comes up just suddenly it is there, just when you figured it was ok to go out in public lol wham

confusion is normal it is part of menopause, even thou you kept your ovaries doesnt mean that it will start right away or at same level

one thing i have learned is that this journey is very unique for each and everyone of us, the one thing constant is the sharing of experiences, support and helping each other through this journey

I for one am totaly ecstatic to have my hystersisters along for the company

thanks all

just a side note, my family dr said he would not do a hormone test as they would be all over the place right now and that was at around 10 week mark
Unread 02-05-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokmelon View Post
I saw my doctor for my 6 week check up on Monday and guess what he said?

I was doing too much.

He told me to walk as much as possible for the recovery so I took that quite literally and worked up to walking 3 miles a day. He said that was too much walking and now I have peritoneal inflammation and edema, which is another word for "swelly belly" I suppose.

Also he told me I have to wait another 6 weeks to attempt starting running again.

The funny part is, I didn't think I was doing anything wrong? Before the surgery I was way more active so in my mind I was really "taking it easy" annnnnnd he told me to walk so?

So just a heads up gals, I was so confident my recovery was on spot and I was doing great, now I am depressed and anxious again and not feeling well. I haven't walked for 6 days and I am suppose to rest. Then start out very slowly again.

If I just would have walked less and rested more I would have been farther along and feeling better. As it is now my belly is like a beach ball and I am sitting in the recliner putting ice on my belly three times a day and beating myself up for being stupid and overconfident.
Be kind to yourself--how on earth were you to know how much walking would be too much?!? Rest now and start again when doc says it's O.K. We can only do our best...setbacks happen SO easily. I did something (?) and have had cramps and backache last two days. And I'm 7 weeks out! Today I walked 2.3 miles because I felt I could. It seemed to help the cramps/backache (again--?)and I didn't feel like I had to take a nap after. Two days ago I only walked 1.2 and had to take a nap. Work this week (only 2 full days of it and not strenuous) exhausted me too. Go figure...
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:10 AM

as i read replies i am glad i am not only one to mess up,but sorry about yr swelly belly.i really didnt think i was doing too much but this is hurryup and wait recovery.its very depressing to feel like you gotta start all over.but you will get back,you will feel better.its just gonna take time.it doesnt matter how healthy you were before surgery,it just takes time and rest

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register