Thinking to much, what to wear? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thinking to much, what to wear? Thinking to much, what to wear?

Unread 12-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Thinking to much, what to wear?

I know that I am overthinking this all to much but...What are good clothes to pack for going home from the hospital? Should I bring pajama pants or sweats? If I bring something decent will there be a chance to ruin it with,um, fluids? I'm just trying to cover all the bases.
I know I am being anal but I'm such a planner! Guess I can't stand all this unknown.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Re: Thinking to much, what to wear?

Ok, it's a great question! You are thinking so many things, it's like packing for a holiday, except...it's not quite like that unfortunately LOL

I wore my husbands flannel pajama bottoms, and one of his matching blue tee shirts, and slip on crocs. It was really cold up here in NH back in November when I had my surgery, so I dressed in the clothes I'd be wearing home, all the way up there.

Two reasons: 1. I was showered and had only worn those baggy clothes for 2 hours, then I was in a hospital gown.

2. I wore hubby's baggy flannel pajama bottoms and baggy tee shirt to allow for drawstring/elastic waist maneuverability and plenty of room for the swelly belly.

I had brought one night gown which I never got to wear, and my bath robe, I never took off (it can get cold in the hospital, I was glad I packed it). Wearing the same outfit home as when I came made me feel a bit of comfort in that I was returning home to my old self, just not my old body.

Also, make sure you are picked up in a low car or van, not a pick up truck LOL
Unread 12-10-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothead64 View Post
I know that I am overthinking this all to much but...What are good clothes to pack for going home from the hospital? Should I bring pajama pants or sweats? If I bring something decent will there be a chance to ruin it with,um, fluids? I'm just trying to cover all the bases.
I know I am being anal but I'm such a planner! Guess I can't stand all this unknown.....
There was no chance of ruining anything with fluids as you can wear your panties with a liner or pad if you'd like to. I did not see a need to since everything was still so numb, and you have a catheter the whole stay anyway, you stay pretty clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2010, 05:07 PM

I brought sweatpants, a tshirt and by slip on crocs.
Unread 12-10-2010, 06:25 PM

I wore all black - wide leg jersey pants, a bamboo nightie - like a long tee, a short jersey robe over the top and ballet flats. I had the same issues as I am a planner as well. Opted for dark colors in planning as I knew I would probably be in for at least two nights and did not want to ruin anything. Turned out my concerns of ruining something were not warranted, but my quest for comfort was not and paid off in the end.
Unread 12-10-2010, 06:49 PM

Definitely go with comfy!! I wore the same outfit to and from the hospital - black yoga pants (just be careful where the seams hit), knit polo shirt, hoodie and fur-lined mocs. Best to go with stretchy pants, whether pj's, sweats or yoga, as you don't want anything tight around your waist.

And don't worry about being anal...better to be prepared!! :-)
Unread 12-10-2010, 08:46 PM

It funny the things that we think about . . . but it makes perfect sense! I will tell you to make sure you have on shoes that you can slip on! I actually took a cute gown and houserobe to the hospital; but I never used them. I keep on the hospital gown because I was only there for 23 hours observation. I wore drawstring pants and an oversized t-shirt to the hospital and wore the same thing home. Make sure that whatever you wear is going to be comfortable on your tummy. Good luck to you . . . may you have a successful surgery and speedy recovery!
Unread 12-10-2010, 09:22 PM

I’m so glad you asked this question, because I’ve been wondering the same thing. I have no idea how to pack since I don’t know if I’ll be staying overnight at the hospital or not. The important thing I’m getting from all this is comfort. We’re Princesses after all; we look good no matter what we’re wearing!
Unread 12-11-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean64 View Post
I’m so glad you asked this question, because I’ve been wondering the same thing. I have no idea how to pack since I don’t know if I’ll be staying overnight at the hospital or not. The important thing I’m getting from all this is comfort. We’re Princesses after all; we look good no matter what we’re wearing!
Darn spankin we do! I wish I could post a picture...my husband brushed out my hair about 5 hours post surgery straight up on my pillow at the hospital....and he said, "let me see your RAWR FACE!" I made a great rawr face, and he snapped it on his camera phone to send to our adopted daughter out in college.

Yeah..mom looked like a TROLL! I had my hair all up on the pillow (it's about past shoulder length) with tubes and wires all coming out of me like frankenstein. BUT...there is the biggest smile on my face. Could be the demerol? But...I was happy it was over with.
Unread 12-11-2010, 05:42 AM

I went to Khol's and Walmart and found a bunch of different drawstring stretchy pants. They came in a bunch of dark winter colors. I plan on wearing them to work, so I picked up t-shirts that look ok with them. They can serve as lounge pants later, or if I sick of them, they will go to donations.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register