Scheduled TAH Upcoming hysterectomy 3/9: Pre-op visit with Doctor | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 3/9: Pre-op visit with Doctor Upcoming hysterectomy 3/9: Pre-op visit with Doctor

Unread 03-03-2016, 07:14 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 3/9: Pre-op visit with Doctor

Hi all,

My surgery is next Wednesday, the 9th. I had a pre-op visit yesterday with my doctor. I want to share what all I found out since I can't tell all the details to anyone else and they understand it all
  • I don't have to do any bowel prep!
  • My doctor will be doing the entire surgery - no robotic anything.
  • I don't have to have a vertical incision. She thinks she can pull my uterus up with a horizontal cut.
  • She stitches me closed - no staples.
  • Told me to NOT use a straw in the hospital

It made me feel loads better talking to her. Next visit....preop at the hospital on the 7th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2016, 03:12 PM
Re: Pre-op visit with Doctor

Hi, you have a good doctor for sure. Mine is an excellent GYN surgeon who has had many hysterectomy cases so I felt confident I was in great hands so to speak. He also has a fantastic nurse and office staff too so everyone are completely understanding. One of the most important things to consider is if the doctor is easy to talk to and understands your concerns. And your doctor (like mine) sounds to be attuned to the patient. I had a partial hysterectomy on Feb. 29th (three days ago) which my surgeon performed with about a 4" bikini line cut. I had 3 lbs. of fibroids inside so I really had no choice but to do this surgery, and I am really glad I made the decision to do it. The pain is actually subsiding already so I'm pleased. It sure beats the constant pain and pressure I had when the fibroids were inside. It was horrific.

Good luck to you! I'm sure that you'll be fine and up and around in a very short time!
Unread 03-04-2016, 12:05 PM

Hooray on not having to a bowel prep! Sounds like your doctor was very thorough and helped prepare you for what to expect. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2016, 02:15 PM

I forgot to mention that my doctor also didn't require a bowel prep. When I was researching the surgery online there were some women who mentioned that it was required for their surgeries. That made me anxious that my doctor would tell me the same but fortunately he doesn't feel it's needed. All I had to do was fast (including no water) from midnight. But he allowed me to take one of my blood pressure medications as well as the Ativan (to help with the anxiousness) a few hours before surgery with just a sip of water.
Unread 03-04-2016, 05:05 PM

Hello,

Just out of curiosity why no use of straws? I used a straw every day I was in the hospital as it was hard to sit up all the way after surgery the same day.
Unread 03-04-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonabike View Post
Hello,

Just out of curiosity why no use of straws? I used a straw every day I was in the hospital as it was hard to sit up all the way after surgery the same day.
My doctor said the straw has enough air in it to really make you uncomfortable with gas. And she said they always bring you a straw but to not use it.
Unread 03-04-2016, 05:32 PM

I am so frightened he's gonna want a bowel prep. This really sucks if he does. The big cross city rivals track meet is that night, and I'm supposed to be announcing WAAAAYYYY up in the rather primitive (read no facilities) press box. Not only could I not announce, my attendance at all is doubtful - and it's dd's senior year. Anyone successfully argue their way out of this (in case he does)?? Is this more common with TVH than TAH, I can see how that would work (although not in my favor).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register