Severe Endo but kept ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe Endo but kept ovaries Severe Endo but kept ovaries

Unread 12-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Severe Endo but kept ovaries

Anybody out there keep their ovaries despite endometriosis? I had surgery 6 weeks ago and my hormones are out of wack. I take progestin for the endo and the doctor suspects it is causing depression. He said to cut the dose in half. I'm just so out of it and lots of crying fits.

Am I the only nut who wanted to keep ovaries with endo? If you kept your ovaries with endo are you taking anything to keep the endo from coming back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2005, 04:48 PM

Hi!
I am 1 week post-op and I kept my ovaries too. My Dr. did "clean up" on my left ovary, and the back of my uterus was covered in endo. And boy am I glad it's gone! I am concerned about my left ovary since it has given me so much trouble in the past.
I'm not taking anything to prevent it from coming back. I had a depo provera shot in October, but that is all.
Not to sound dumb, but what could my Dr. give me to keep it from coming back? I didn't think there was anything to prevent it permanently. I took the depo shot to try to ease the pain and slow it down from spreading to other areas.
All the Best,
Laurie
Unread 12-13-2005, 04:59 PM

Laurie,
I take Norethin which is somewhat similar the depo shot. The doc thought it might help keep the endo from coming back. From what I have read the drug can be taken as long as tolerated. It is making menapause symptoms worse and causing depression for me.

My left ovary was also very bad. It was glued to my uterous, pelvic bone and colon. The doc was able to free it from the uterous and pelvic bone but is still stuck to my colon. He could not dislodge it without removing it. Pretty much everything in me was glued together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2005, 05:29 PM

I had the endo going on and my doc left both of my ovaries. My right ovary looked pretty bad and had a nasty cyst on the back side of it, in fact my doc was a bit concerned about it when he sent if off to pathology and said he was very relieved when it came back non-cancerous (I was very relieved too).

I'm not taking anything right now, we are playing the wait and see game. He said that I could do Lupron shots if my ovaries start acting up, but I need to do some more research on that. He said he is hoping that my ovaries just "calm down" and don't give me any more problems. I sure hope so.

When my Mother-in-law had her hyst in her late 30s and they left her two ovaries, but they shut down and she went into menopause and had an awful time with it. So, I am hoping that mine don't shut down, but just calm down.

Think I'm asking for too much? *pig*
Unread 12-13-2005, 08:48 PM

I too had severe endo and Dr. and I decided to try to save at least one ovary - right ovary was removed - left one stayed. I'm not taking anything to prevent endo - the doc cleaned me up 1 year prior with ablation - and recently removed everything but left ovary - If endo does come back I will be in my doc's office ASAP.
Peace, love and wishes of happiness
Unread 12-13-2005, 09:08 PM

I have both of my ovaries. My hyst was for Stage IV Endo at the age of 25. Due to my age and the health of my ovaries, we opted for me to keep my ovaries rather than deal with HRT. I had had a lap about 7 weeks before my hyst where most of my endo was cauterized.

Because of other health issues, I am not taking anything to attempt to control my endo. Currently, we are watching and waiting. I have pain on the right where I had an appendetomy due to endo, that is gradually increasing. I also have endo on my bowel walls. As my dr considers me to be a high risk surgical patient, having a lap for more cauterization is not an option at this time.

You may wish to read more stories about endo in the Endo/ Adeno Forum. Searching for endo will also turn up many threads about how other ladies have dealt with endo.

I wish you the best and hope you are able to find the right balance for your needs.
Unread 12-13-2005, 09:12 PM

Both my ovaries were healthy and they both stayed, he did find endo on my bowel which was removed. Is there a high chance of it returning? I am not taking anything, my doc has never said a word about it. Hmmm....
Unread 12-13-2005, 09:32 PM

Okay, you may wish to read through the Endo Resources. Endo can be very microscopic and thus "invisible." Any estrogen in your body, whether via HRT or your own ovaries, feeds any of this endo as it was undetected. Different drs have different approaches for treating endo after a hyst. Talk to your dr about your concerns and if necessary, find a dr that specializes in endo.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register