Does anyone know how long it is safe to keep taking stool softeners? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does anyone know how long it is safe to keep taking stool softeners? Does anyone know how long it is safe to keep taking stool softeners?

Unread 02-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Does anyone know how long it is safe to keep taking stool softeners?

I still have occasional cramps depending upon what I eat. I seem to be quite regular. However I do miss the occasional day and then the next day seems to be more painful. I still take 2 stool softeners at night. It makes it more comfortable to go. Does anyone know how long it is safe to keep taking stool softeners?

Unread 02-09-2009, 01:45 PM

I think not too long... my doc was keen for me to take them but I dont know if they think the bowel gets lazy ..I know theyre not keen on over use of laxative.... I found it started to get extreme with me and I was rushing to the loo too often and the consistency got very poor ( trying not to be to graphic here) I weaned off then stopped half way through week three post op I think...
Unread 02-09-2009, 08:29 PM

I wouldn't worry. As Sistermary mentioned, laxatives are the real concern when it comes to acquiring a "lazy colon." Perhaps you should move to a daily fiber therapy instead. That is something that you could use daily every day anyway. Lower estrogen levels can effect the lubrication that we have in our bowels, so using something is good. I ended up with a fissure, so I am for whatever it takes to be more comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2009, 09:10 PM

Hi Sherby08
My dr ok'd me staying on them for a couple of months. He said they wouldn't hurt a thing and I didn't have any problems when I stopped taking them. I was very tender for a long time and didn't want to strain, so I used them and they were a help, psychologically, if nothing else. I would use them as long as you feel the need.
Rita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register