Please tell me- how bad is this going to be? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please tell me- how bad is this going to be? Please tell me- how bad is this going to be?

Unread 04-16-2002, 08:41 PM
It wasn't that bad...

I was so well prepared. Read thy Hyster book and read, read, read, everything here. After going through so much pain and bleeding therecovery was o.k. I was tired, sore and could not wait to take a bath or lay on my stomach. I felt super good at 2 weeks post op and worse at weeks 3 and 4. I tried to take it nice and slow. I had no major complications or incidences. If I had to do it all over again would I? IN A HEARTBEAT!!!! I have never felt better in my life. Started my period at age 11 and had nothing but trouble until I had my hyster at age 36. One year+ post and life is good. It was so worth the recovery

My best to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 04:42 AM
Please tell me- how bad is this going to be?

Hi Kathy

Everyone's surgery and recovery experiences are different. You can learn a lot from reading about others, the bad as well as the good.

I had to have an enema and a betadine douche the night before. Not the way I would have chosen to spend an evening, but that's the way it had to be. You do what you have to do.

Woke up with a catheter and IV; 24 hours after surgery both were removed - no problems.

Staples were removed 48 hours after surgery and steri strips were applied. Sounds worse than it was. Incision site was still numb, didn't feel anything.

Went home about 48 hours after surgery. I had no stair climbing restrictions, but the first couple of days home I went down in the morning and up in the evening only, and had DH on the down side just in case.

Spent most of the first two weeks on the couch, drinking water and juice and walking to the bathroom. After that I felt a little better each day, and each day I felt like moving around and sitting up more and more. And gradually I began doing things around the house - folding clothes, washing dishes, etc.

They key is to get back to normal activity gradually, and never more than you've been cleared by your DR to do. Listen to your body NOT your mind. If you need a nap take one, the housework will be there when you are up to doing it.

Also try to keep a positive attitude (easier said than done) but visualize your surgery and recovery in a positive way. You may have setbacks, but keep thinking positive! (now I sound like Pollyanna)

Good luck!
Unread 04-17-2002, 04:50 AM
Please tell me- how bad is this going to be?

I was a "total" basketcase before my surgery and what they say is the worse is the "wait". I had NO big problems before or after surgery and didn't even get sick afterwards. I didn't have to do a bowel prep, but I did eat very lightly for 3 days before and kind of stayed on liquids the day before. I have big problems with anethesia and had not one problem this time. I was up that night sitting and walking the next day. My biggest problem was constipation afterwards and if I had done what alot of people suggested here right off about stool softners I probably would have been fine with that alot faster than I was. (of course, check with your dr first). I was totally amazed at how well I came through this and how fast (but moving slowly) I was up and around. If your in alot of pain now like I was before, you'll see the difference. This site is great for recommendations and comfort and you'll have alot of prayers being said for you which I say makes the best medicine!
Take Care! and take it from a worrier, you'll do okay!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register