HELP!! what is that about nail polish!? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP!! what is that about nail polish!? HELP!! what is that about nail polish!?

Unread 05-10-2003, 04:38 PM
HELP!! what is that about nail polish!?

Ok, I've seen this more than once, so someone please tell me. Eventhe woman who did my nails said that some doctors or surgeries tell you not to have nail polish or color on your nails.

Does anyone know WHY? and should I worry if no one at the doc's office told me about this ahead of time? My pre-op is Monday, surgery (TAH) Tues 13th, morning. I'm just out of the nail salon, with a very faint nude color on my fingernails, and a nice red on my toes!

HELP RESOLVE THIS MYSTERY PLEASE!!???

Thanks and love,
Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2003, 05:38 PM

Sorry to tell you this but no polish in the castle!!!! They'll probably tell you in pre op! That's when they told me! No biggie for me though as I have no nails to speak of! But if they don't mention it at your pre op before you leave ask them, but more than likely they'll say something first!

Love & s

Sharon
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:39 PM

They'll put a monitor on your finger that checks to make sure you have enough oxygen in your blood stream. The monitor reads with a light that shines right through your nail. It's important that they use the monitor as your breathing will be suppressed during anesthesia and while you're on a narcotic pain reliever.

The DRs and hospital don't worry about this because they have acetone on hand so they can remove any nail polish when necessary.

Personally, I preferred to have my nails short while in the Castle. The first day or two you can't really get out of bed and to a sink. After that it's a little difficult to wash your hands when you're tied to an IV. It's just nice to have one less thing to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2003, 06:24 PM

Jen, I think it really depends on the hospital, because I've seen all kinds of answers to this question posted on this website. My trip is the day before yours, and when the hospital called me this week (it was the anesthesia department asking lots of questions) I asked about it - they said nail polish on both fingers and toes was just fine. I would ask at your pre-op to make sure.

Best of luck to you!

Mary
Unread 05-10-2003, 06:34 PM
just to help you out!

I had my pre-op on thur. tah/bso on mon the 12th. When I was at my surgical pre-op then told me NO polish on your toes. I have my nail done as well. The didn't seem to have a problem with polish on my nails (at the time had dark/light marble look). She did ask me if my nail were artifical. I have acrylic overlay on my natural nail, she said that was fine, but to have the pointer fingers acryrilc as thin as possible. Make sure to ask at your pre-op and hope your nail tech is able to get you in before your surgery to make any changes, if needed. ( hate not having my nails done, want at least one part of my body to feel good) I would think all hospitals are differnet. Good Luck with your nail situation and your surgery. We are both so close to becoming a

met ya here after surgery to
Unread 05-10-2003, 06:44 PM

Every hospital has different procedures. My pre-op instructions were written out and crystal clear: "Do not wear make-up, nail polish or jewelry the day of surgery. You may wear contact lenses. Bring your case so that you can remove them before surgery. You will also be asked to remove dentures, partial plates, or other prosthesis (which would include nail extensions) before surgery." They did tell me I could keep my wedding ring on; they would tape it during surgery.

Just my own personal opinion: I preferred to be as "natural" as possible, because even with all the new high tech equipment I believe if there is a chance they can spot a potential problem by being able to observe my nail beds or the color of my face, etc and not waiting for the machine to tell them something may be wrong then I wanted to give them that possible early warning time.
Unread 05-10-2003, 08:08 PM

Just prior to my surgery, I had my nails done and had a pedicure as well. It just never even occured to me that this could be a problem, and it wasn't! When I read about it for the first time here, I was already post-op.
I'd suggest you check with your hospital during your pre-op visit.
Rules seem to vary about a lot of issues from hospital to hospital...

HollyG
Unread 05-10-2003, 08:59 PM

Don't panic! I agree that you should check with your doctor/hospital -- they differ from place to place! I had brain surgery five months ago and kept my newly polished acrylic nails. The nurses even commented on how beautiful they were. But that was Stanford - a large, very advanced hospital. Maybe smaller hospitals don't have the latest equipment. (By the way, they used that finger monitor on me -- nails and all.)
Unread 05-10-2003, 11:17 PM

I agree that it differs from hospital to hospital. My pre-op was 5-7-03. Since no one mentioned the nail polish..I asked and was told that it use to be no polish..but they have newer technology to keep an eye out for any potiential problems that they use to detect by your nailbed. So..I had a pedicure, lavender-sparkly polish no less and opted to be natural as far as my hands.
Unread 05-10-2003, 11:52 PM
thank youuuuuuuu

Thanks all you smart gals!

For your replies and for sharing your experiences! I asked my sister about this, and she reminded me about the oximiter thingy...I totally forgot! I've had that before...silly me! But at that time, I did not have freshly done nails.

The fingernails are MINE, and short, just nicely manicured and with a nude beige polish. You can almost see through it. My toenails are done in red....so, those might be a problem, and if they needed me to remove the stuff, I surely would!

My surgery is being done at University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville, VA. A very fine teaching hospital with the latest technology, and some of the most amazing advances you can imagine. I guess this issue will put them to the test. I'll report back with the findings!

Another thing...I've been hearing about leg bands being used...I'm assuming that is for prevention of blood clotting post surgery....and then I recall my Doc mentioning that he would give me MEDS for that, and nobody ever said anything about any leg bands. I guess ya'll are right, it all depends on the Doc, and the hospital. It amazes me that there are so many "acceptable" protocols for the same situation, worldwide...and we all seem to come through just fine despite the differences!

Well, bed is calling me. I've had my FINAL bubble bath for the next six weeks. I don't mind being a prune, I stayed in there forever! LOL!

Thanks again, ladies, for your input!

Hugs,
Jen
CASTLE DATE MAY 13th!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register