anyone in my boat? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone in my boat? anyone in my boat?

Unread 01-30-2004, 07:46 AM
anyone in my boat?

Hi I am a new member here and I may face a TAH in the near future. I am single 37yrs and am experiencing some difficulty coming to terms with what may happen to me. Never thought this would happen to me. Thankfully I have a supportive boyfriend and 6 sisters to help me get thru all this.I've been on Lupron for 3 months and my stomach has never looked this good. I am hopeful for only a myoectomy but we all can hope. I also have a cyst on one of my ovaries as well as enlarged uterus. I just saw a female doc for my 2nd opinion and was optmistic to saving my uterus. My fist doc older male only suggested TAH and quick to schedule surg. Are there any members out there in my same boat? Wanting children but may not be possible? Having to go thru a major change at a young age?I can use all the support I can get. The stress of it all is really getting to me. Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2004, 07:59 AM
anyone in my boat?

Hi Toni0409 and welcome!

I too am in your boat (and I have just found this site which is wonderful).

I am 37 and have been having cramps and heavy bleeding since the birth of my last child 8 years ago. Four months ago I though I had the flu....when this happened for the next 3 months I figured out it was happening when I started my periods. I also was having pain when urinating. I had just had a normal PAP in October, so back to the doctor I went. I had an ultrasound, pelvic ultrasound and a CT scan. I have cysts on both ovaries which are the size of small oranges. I also have a slightly elevated tumor marker blood test. My doctor feels the cysts are endometrioma with adhesions on my bladder and my cervix is probably adhered partially to my bowel due to endo. So, all of a sudden I was told all of the information within a week. After much research and talking with my husband I have elected for a TAH on February 25th. My doctor will be removing everything. I am very nervous and stressed over this but truly feel it is my best choice.

I wish you the best.....I truly know how you feel, except that I am done having children.

Michelle
Unread 01-30-2004, 09:09 AM
anyone in my boat?

Hi Toni0409,

I will be 37 on 2/28. My surgery is scheduled for 2/18. I am having my uterus, cervix and two fibroids removed. Also have a urologist putting a sling on my urethra (I have had incontinence ever since the birth of my 8 year old daughter). So, I am not exactly in your boat because I do have one child. However, I went through what you are about the children right after I got pregnant with my daughter. It was discovered that I had 1 very large and 1 small fibroid growing faster than my daughter was. It caused many complications, but I was blessed. My daughter was born healthy and I made it through also. So, my husband and I decided with the help and consultation of two ob/gyn's to have my tubes tied during the surgery to remove the two fibroids. This was done after my daughter was born when she was 8 months old. It was very hard for me to give up having any more children. However, I did not want to risk my life (which was a serious concern during my first pregnancy) for the chance to have another child. I had a child at home who needed her mother. So, I wish you all the best and know that there is always adoption. So many children are out there waiting for someone to want to love them. I hope all works out for you and your medical problems are a thing of the past real soon.

jshots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2004, 03:41 PM
anyone in my boat?

Hi Toni, Michelle and Jshots,

I'm 42, no kids, single and am 9 weeks post-op. I know the decision you are facing, and there is no easy answer. I do send hugs and prayers for you.

I always wanted kids of my own, but let my career and "wanting to do everything in the right order" didn't dare have them when I really wanted them. 4 years ago, the pain of fibroids and one mis-carry resulted in a lap to see what was going on. I told my gyn then - if it looks like I can't carry kids - tie the tubes. Don't make me go through this again. Well, it did and he did. I figured if I really wanted to....well, there are fertility experts to reverse things, right?

Three years later, another lap, double check fibroids, D&C and biopsy of Adeno area. Serious talk about the big H. Due to work, I had to wait 10 months to schedule my surgery. So I had a long time to think I had adjusted to accepting this change.

I do still have sorrow about not having my own kids, but...I can now enjoy the best of others kids and not have to pay for college! Ok - a little humour helps, but the pain is still there, and to be honest, I don't think I could handle late-night feedings and diapers at this age. I've read many many posts in the post-op area where many princesses still have sadness and some regrets about the decision to have surgery. My heart goes out to all of them and to all of you still having to make the decision.

Try to remember this - God only gives us what HE thinks WE can handle together. We still have the opportunity to be a great influence in the lives of children, and possibly a blessing to others. Just take the time you need AWAY from pregnant ladies, baby showers and the like, until you want to be around them. We are not failures in society because we didn't give birth to children - we are still successful, contributing members of society because we took our health seriously and can be there later as healthy princesses.

My love to you all, I know that "this too shall pass" and we will be healed emotionally and physically. .too.

Susan
Unread 01-31-2004, 06:02 PM
anyone in my boat?

My heart goes out to you. Just get the second and third opinions that you need to make this the right dision in your head for your piece of mind. I can't have kids, never could but I was always all right with that (love kids but never wanted to be a mom because i knew what I did as a kid LOL!!!) Taught kids and adults how to ride and take care of horeses and show and that was very cool! Did it for almost 20 years made lot of friends and saw alot of kids grow up and be apart of that. So in short you have options, just explore them. But first and formost is to keep yourself healthy!!!

All the best to you
Woz (Jen)
Unread 01-31-2004, 06:47 PM
In the boat...

I am 34, and will be having TAH/BSO in May. My husband and I have been married for 10 years and have not been able to have children, due to my problems. However, we adopted in 2000. We have a beautiful little girl and we can't imagine loving her any more that we do. She is our child!! We can't imagine her with anyone else! The fertility thing will always be an issue in the back of your mind, but having that baby to love makes it easier and easier to accept. I told my doctor that we were not concerned with infertility anymore, we just wanted a normal life free from pain, excessive bleeding, moodiness, etc., etc., If you want children and can't birth them, please consider adoption, everybody wins!!
Kim
Unread 01-31-2004, 10:32 PM
anyone in my boat?

I was also in your boat. I had a totaly hyst on 1-29-04. I was on lupron for a year and a half and it really didn't help I am only 18 but I got two opinions and both were to go on with it. I had endo and adno but after going on with it i found out after the surgery i also had fybroids. he said they looked like oversized rocks. I guess My best advice for you is to do what you think is right and get a 2nd opinion on anything this major.
Unread 02-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Who made it okay?

The more I ask female friends the more I find out that 1/4 of all females have fibroids . Who said this exceptable!! I just want to know why. I'm not trying to honkerblonk anyone off but it just seems to me to be wrong. Please do not take this wrong. I'm still having my surgury because I need it and I'll feel much better. I just want to know what causes it? Anyone else feel the way?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register